HP dv6-7xxx, Some Questions

touchtoplay

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello everyone,
So a while back I received my dv6tqe-7000 and I have a few questions and concerns I was hoping someone could answer.

First off, I want to discuss the CoolSense program; usually I have it set to on, and I realize CoolSense activates based on the laptop's position. When the dv6 is sitting on my lap, I make sure the left side vent/exhaust is exposed or isn't blocked by anything. The fan still goes off, but to be fair it isn't that loud or annoying; it's just a mild blowing noise and even people who are 3 ft away tell me they can't hear anything when it's doing so. I just moved back to campus so maybe it's because my apartment room is much quieter and I just happened to notice it more.

I've never owned a 'high-performance laptop' before so I'm not sure if this is normal. My question is, would it be okay to turn CoolSense off? I'm not too bothered by the fan but wanted to know if this is okay if I ever want to. The laptop stays between 40-45C with it either being on or off, so maybe it's because I leave the vent exposed? I just don't know if it's better to just leave it on, harmful to turn it off, or bad if I switch back and forth between the two from time to time.

The last question I had is a bit more specific. On the touchpad buttons, the right mouse button is more 'loose' than the left. I noticed it because if I just tap (Not necessarily press) the button on the left, there is no sound; on the other hand, if I tap on the right button it does make a sound. Again, I'm probably just noticing it more because the room I'm in now is quieter but I just wanted to know if this was normal. I can deal with it, and can't really exchange for another since I left the box at home.

I appreciate any and all responses.

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I don`t think turning coolsense off will hurt your pc, cuz the cooling system and the fan will increase speed once the termpretures raise by bios, and even if the temperatures are up and the cooling wasn`t adequate the processor will and gpu will throttle down, anyway you might want to check this thread,http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/582657-what-exactly-does-hp-coolsense-do.html someone asked the same question as you are and there is plenty of answers.
as for the 2nd question about touchpad button, if its not loose or anything and only makes a clicking sound, I don`t think you should worry about it, its just the OCD kicking in ^_^, also you shouldn`t worry about the noise much, as long as there is no overheating problems and the fan is not on full load all the time then the laptop is working ok.