HP dv6 keyboard either not works or press button to infinity

robindaybird

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Hi! I have a HP Pavilion dv6 notebook, it's really getting on in the years, but I am not in a financial situation to get a replacement, so I'm in a bind here.

Last night, I noticed occasionally while alt-tabbing out of a game that sometimes my textbox is getting filled with "9s" until I stopped it.

When I went to turn it on this morning, it was beeping - I wish I recalled the BIOS pattern but I was panicking that my laptop had decided to die, but it worked and I discovered my keyboard was not responding at all. After I got a wireless keyboard, it was fine until about ten minutes ago when my laptop decided it needed to fill everything with "6s" - and I was forced to shut it down to make it stop. This may happen again.

Things I've tried:
-Cleaning the thing top to bottom
-Uninstalling the keyboard drivers and restarting
-Since my laptop's not under warranty, I opened it to see if I can pop off the keyboard to check the ribbon, but mine's just a different enough model from most dv6 disassembly walkthrough that I could not figure out how to remove the keyboard without damaging the frame.

Any help would be appreciated - the wireless keyboard is adequate but not comfortable, and a random infinity key press will cause issues.

Solution
If uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and let the system reinstall them on its own didn't help, and neither did cleaning up the keyboard, I would suggest trying an external keyboard and see if the problem goes away then. If it does, then the attached keyboard may need replacing.
If uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and let the system reinstall them on its own didn't help, and neither did cleaning up the keyboard, I would suggest trying an external keyboard and see if the problem goes away then. If it does, then the attached keyboard may need replacing.

Solution

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
On my dv6-6000 series there is a single screw by the cmos battery that went all the way though to the keyboard. after removing it then all I had to do was take a knife/or mini flat screw driver and work around the edges to undo the small tabs that lock it in. what is your specific model number dv6-???? because in the end it sounds like you just need to undo the ribbon cable and use your external keyboard as you have been doing.