hp dv7 hard disk error after disassembly for cleaning

littlemissfixit

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
I recently disassembled my hp pavilion dv7 to clean out the fan due to overheating, now it won't boot, all I get is hard disk error, press f2 for system diagnostics, run system diagnostics, hard drive is fine. Only error is battery failure, the battery hasn't been charging for a little bit now.. I did a hard reset, same problem, took it apart, double checked everything, same problem. How do I get this stupid thing to boot or how can I back it up without booting it up, PLEASE HELP

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
hey there.
Do you have another computer in the house? You can buy a USB adapter to run the laptop hardrive as an external, get what you need off it and check if all OK that way.
Can't help with why it's not booting though, could be something simple as a connector loose during the clean. Though if BIOS finds it...hmmm.
PS You might re-seat your RAM sticks.

littlemissfixit

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
I can't get to my bios, my system diagnostics is Hp's advanced system diagnostics, Hp support says that after you run diagnostics and no errors are found its ok to use your notebook as usual, only I have no idea how I'm supposed to do that.. so frustrating

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Can you try tapping F10 as soon as boot up, just keep tapping until it gets into BIOS. This should be able toget into way before the no boot device error.
Let us know how you go.

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Also try....

If you have a recent model notebook (<2 years old), you often have to tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to access the various menus such as accessing the BIOS.