HP DV9000 Series(dv9208nr), Known Issues - Anyone know the fix?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinstatic

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
So, I spent a while with HP support, basically got nothing but the run around(will post transcript - for fun AND issue clarification). Here's what's happening:
I have an HP DV9208NR(DV9000 general series, 9200/9300 specific). When I push the power button, the lights and fans come on for a second(no display), then they shut off. Every fifteenth (or so) push, they will remain on for ten-twenty second(still no display), then shut off. I've gone through all the basics - removed everything that can be removed, testing components in other, working systems; tested this system with known good CPU/Ram/HD/Optical/PS/Wifi(one of the known failures for this series), heat sink, power control board(attached to heatsink), etc. I know that all of the computer's original parts are good - they tested fine in another system. And, I know all of the parts I swapped for testing are good. I've pretty much isolated this to a mobo issue. Sadly, my mobo is the 444002-001, which is near impossible to find on ebay.
What I'm asking is this: Does anyone know what, specifically, is causing these motherboards to fail? I can swap SMDs if necessary, I just want to get an idea of where to look for failures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As promised, here's transcript of FIRST chat conv with HP(I went through three techs before I finally got someone to agree to have a manager call me back)
Note where I told the 'tech' this was a KNOWN ISSUE, she denies it, then tells me later on "It looks like this is a known issue..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haden Farley : Laptop will not boot/post.[An agent will be with you shortly.][You are now chatting with Mable .]
Mable : Welcome to HP Total Care for Notebooks. My name is Mable.
Mable : Hello Haden.
Mable : How are you doing today?
Haden Farley : Hello.
Haden Farley : Okay.
Mable : May I know are you able to see the HP logo?
Haden Farley : I need some pretty detailed technical information from you, Mable.
Haden Farley : Yes, I can.
Mable : Sure I will try my best to provide you all the necessary information.
Mable : May I know are you able to see any error message?
Haden Farley : No, this laptop has the known issue covered under the recall - it does not boot at all. When I push the power button, the fans and lights come on for a second or so, then it shuts off.
Mable : If I understand the issue correctly you are able to see lights glowing on the laptop but there in no display on the laptop?
Haden Farley : There is no display, and the lights only come on for one second.
Mable : I regret the inconvenience caused. And I will assert my best efforts to resolve this issue.
Mable : In order to assist you in a better way, May I know the product and serial number of the computer which is facing this issue?
Haden Farley : p/n: rp114ua#aba
s/n: ************
Mable : Thank you for providing us with the information.
Mable : May I know have you performed any troubleshooting steps in order to fix the issue?
Haden Farley : Yes. I've tested the CPU, Ram, Wireless, DVD Drive, LCD, LCD Inverter board, hard drive, power cable, and battery in a different, known working system. All parts tested fine. Removed power cord from laptop, removed battery, held power button for one minute, plugged laptop back in(without battery), tested it, same issue - will not boot.
Mable : I appreciate the efforts you have taken.
Mable : Haden as you have performed all the possible troubleshooting steps the only option left out is to take the laptop to the nearest service center or to send to HP for repair.
Mable : The problem might be with the motherboard.
Haden Farley : Not an option.
Haden Farley : I need to know the exact cause of the issue on the motherboard.
Mable : It might be the display adapter has gone bad.
Haden Farley : Negative. I've actually tested the chip, its good.
Mable : Haden it might be some part on the mother board.
Haden Farley : And that's the crux: I need you to find out what, exactly, is causing the issue on the motherboard, and tell me. I know this is a common issue for this model - a known issue.
Mable : As a chat agent we cannot tell us what is the exact issue in order to diagnose the exact issue we need to take the laptop for service.
Haden Farley : And, as I said, that is not an option. Unless you're offering to pay for shipping and repair the laptop for free, its not going to a service center.
Haden Farley : So. I need you t find out for me what the most common cause of this issue is on this particular motherboard, and let me know what it is.
Mable : Shipping is free of cost but you need to pay for the service Haden.
Haden Farley : My point exactly.
Haden Farley : Now, please find out the cause of this issue, and let me know what it is. I will do the repair on my end.
Mable : Haden as a chat agent we cannot tell you the exact issue you need to send the laptop for service for the complete problem resolution.
Haden Farley : No, as I said, that's not an option. I need you to find out the cause of this issue, and let me know what it is.
Mable : Haden as the issue seems to be hardware malfunction which requires a detailed onsite diagnosis. Being a chat support technician, I have very limited options available to help you out with the issue. The nature of this issue is related to hardware which can be diagnosed in detail by our Service technicians at HP Authorized Service Providers. Hence, I request you to contact our nearest HP Authorized service provider and get the notebook serviced.
Haden Farley : Nope.
Haden Farley : Mable, this is what's called a "Known Issue". I know for a fact that you can ask around, call around, post a query, in SOME manner or other connect with actual techs. For known issues, there is always a known, common cause - not computer specific. You need to connect with another tech and find out what that common cause is for me. If you are unable to do so, please connect me to a more capable "agent"
Mable : Okay.
Mable : It might be the issue with Motherboard and it is not a known issue.
Mable : This needs Onsite Diagnostics.
Mable : The motherboard contains various chipset and components like video adapter, south bridge chipset, northbridge chipset.
Haden Farley : In other words, you are incapable of finding out what the cause is - this IS in fact a known issue, Mable, HP has issue a recall for this exact model of laptop. Please connect me with a more capable person, if not an ACTUAL technician.
Mable : Yes, there was a recall program which expired in the month of April, 2009.
Mable : We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Haden Farley : Which is why I need to find the cause of the issue. I need to know the SPECIFIC problem - be it chipset, north/south bridge, caching, fan algo's, latency, etc.
Haden Farley : Believe me, I am MUCH more capable of repairing this than your service techs. I just need you or someone higher than you to find out the cause, and tell me.
Mable : I have contacted the supervisor on this issue and was informed that we had known issues for the model.
Haden Farley : Duh.
Mable : If the notebook is not booting, then it is with the chipset failure on the motherboard.
Mable : I am afraid that it is not possible to diagnose the issue through the chat support which is why I provide you with an option of paid service where the motherboard will be replaced with a new one.
Mable : Also, the notebook will restored to factory settings, once the notebook repair is done.
Haden Farley : And, of course, I'm not willing to pay for service when I can remove the chips here, repair them, and resolder them.
Haden Farley : And I don't WANT my laptop set to factory settings.
Mable : Haden, I will provide you with the part number of the motherboard.
Haden Farley : I don't need the motherboard part number, Mable, I'm holding the motherboard in my hands, as we speak, there's a little sticker here that says Part Number. What I need is to know which portion of the motherboard has failed, or commonly fails with these systems.
Mable : Haden, As I already informed that it could be any part of the chipset on the motherboard which can be done at the service center only.
Haden Farley : Okay, then you need to contact the service center, and ask them what specifically is failing in this issue. It is a common problem, which I'm sure the techs will tell you has a specific common cause.
Haden Farley : Then tell me what it is.
Mable : Haden, I am afraid to say that we do not have the option to contact the HP service center technician in person or by phone as were a chat support technician to check the what chipset or component is not working.
Haden Farley : Ugh. I'm going to step outside for a smoke. In the meantime, I want you to contact a service center(any one will do, I'm sure most of them have dealt with this issue), contact a supervisor and have that person contact a service center, contact the next level of support in your office and find out what the cause is, contact whoever you need to - just find out what the common cause of this problem is. If you are unable to do so, provide me with a phone number of a service center to call - NOT an 800 number, not a number for a tech queue, not a customer service/support/care number. A number for a service center.
Haden Farley : I'll wait.
Mable : The following symptoms apply to the dv9000 series notebooks:
The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
The notebook has no power and no active LEDs.
The notebook does not start.
The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.
The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.
The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.
Mable : I will be with you here.
Mable : I have contacted the supervisor and was informed that we do not have the option to call the technician at the service center to provide you what chipset or component goes bad on the motherboard.
Mable : At chat support we have the option to setup the repair service if the notebook found to be in recall or warranty services.
Haden Farley : Obviously, you are unable to wrap your mind around this. I will start a new session with another tech.

paramountcomputers

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hello,

44C is excellent. If you can keep it that way, your system should last you a long time. Just try to keep it clean - it's a magnet for dust. Every few years, you should disassemble it and clean it. But if it dies again, I know a great company to call in Florida called Precision Division. They specialize in laptop motherboards.

They handle all brands and models, but are very, very good at repairing HP DV9000s and similar models.

You only pay them if it can be fixed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-Dv9000-Repair-Do-right-dont-bother-/230454322099?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item35a825e3b3

PrecisionDivision.com

Cheers

Sorry this is a very poor example of a laptop repair company, they have a very poor rating and I would be embarrassed to have posted them here. They have less than 500 in feedback with a 97.2% rating which is horrible. Any company worth their salt has at least a 99% or higher feedback with a min. of 500. Also any company advertising less than a $100 repair is not repairing or using a inferior process or they will call you to up-sell you a higher cost later. Shady....

Anonymous

paramountcomputers

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hello,

44C is excellent. If you can keep it that way, your system should last you a long time. Just try to keep it clean - it's a magnet for dust. Every few years, you should disassemble it and clean it. But if it dies again, I know a great company to call in Florida called Precision Division. They specialize in laptop motherboards.

They handle all brands and models, but are very, very good at repairing HP DV9000s and similar models.

You only pay them if it can be fixed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-Dv9000-Repair-Do-right-dont-bother-/230454322099?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item35a825e3b3

PrecisionDivision.com

Cheers

Sorry this is a very poor example of a laptop repair company, they have a very poor rating and I would be embarrassed to have posted them here. They have less than 500 in feedback with a 97.2% rating which is horrible. Any company worth their salt has at least a 99% or higher feedback with a min. of 500. Also any company advertising less than a $100 repair is not repairing or using a inferior process or they will call you to up-sell you a higher cost later. Shady....

Don

dlcomp78

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

You might want to check out www.dv9000laptoprepair.com I seen them mentioned in a few different places. Looks like a 3 day turn around time.

lancs-it

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I get so many of these in, I've started keeping spare refurbished HP motherboards in stock!

I send faulty ones to a repair centre in Hong Kong in boxes of 10 at a time! They actually REPLACE the poor nVidia chips with new "second generation" chips. The first generation of GPU chips had weak substrates which, when combined with the excessive temperatures caused by HP's woeful incompetence at designing an adequate cooling system, results in the chip developing microscopic fractures within the substrate. Even if the chip is still OK, the brittle lead-free solder fractures with thermal stress as the GPU expands and contracts with the excessive heat.

The company I send my boards to mounts the new gen-2 chip on the board with leaded solder in order to prolong the life of the board, and also supplies a copper shim on the new GPU.

Total cost for all this = USD 40 including signed-for shipping to the UK!

...But don't expect it in a rush! Only 5 out of the last batch have been done yet, even after they've had them for 4 months!!!!

I actually landed on this forum by searching for a power switch board for a dv9000 I'm in the process of rebuilding with a refurbished board (444002-001)!! ...And yes, that too was just USD 40! So if you can afford it, buy a working one, send the faulty one away, then when you get it back sell the refurbished board for more than you paid for the working one!

But no, sorry I'm not going to say where I send my boards - it takes long enough to get them as it is, without other people joining the queue in front of me!

anthonytkd

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hi there, i have a HP DV6 - 2114sa and i only have it 16 months, i have the EXACT same problem as the one in question, the lights come on for a second and it shuts itself off, no boot, no screen, nothing. i cant get it repaired under warranty because it was 12 months, i actually cant believe my eyes when i read that this is a known problem and yet, it hasnt been resolved on HP's production side....are there any cheapish or DIY ways of fixing the problem? i tried taking out the RAM, replacing it, running with and without the hard drive, without battery, on AC, nothing resolved the problem. any response would be much appreciated.

mechbob

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

There is a guy on Ebay that sells ( Shim Kits ) For the overheating problem , My Mainboard burned up So I did my homework , I had the intel board with 256 Video , replaced it with a 434660-001 which is 512MB Video changed the CPU to a T-7200 which is the best CPU for this machine , Very carfuly measured the gap on the Vid chip and the CPU , Installed the right shims ( coppper ) , Noe the machine runs at 21C all day long ,and by the way I added a SSD for the C drive and a WD carvair Black 7200 rpm 320 GB for the B drive , Now this machine is fast and cool and stable . I now it's alot of work ,but the end results are worth it.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
This not for an HP, but I got an acer 5520 had trouble with video chip, was not failed yet. I actually took the thermal pad off the gpu, bent the heatpipe a bit so that the aluminium heatsink made direct contact to the gpu, and applied new thermal paste to the CPU and gpu. GPU temps had been in 90 degrees celcius range. After I rigged it the gpu runs between 60 and 70. Much better. I reran the Vista Windows experience rating tests, and literally the gpu score had been at 2.0 jumped to 3.0

Furious_George

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
If your DV9000 has failed, do yourself a favor and send it to someplace that knows what they are doing. I tried the heat gun trick and it broke again a week later - same exact problem. So I spent the hundred bucks to have AdvancedLaptopRepair.com do it. It was definitely worth the money.

Also, keep a close eye on your GPU temps. If it's 90C all the time, you need to be using a cooling pad. Do whatever you can to keep that laptop cool. I love my DV9000 but I keep it as cool as possible. I have a fan on my desk that is aimed at the laptop, plus a cooling pad. I'm not paranoid! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.