Solved! HP EliteBook - changed battery and now wont boot up

Dec 26, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have an HP Elitbeook 1040 G1, I bought it refurbished and it was working great for a year. For the past few weeks I’ve been receiving a HP battery error upon boot up. The message said the battery cannot hold a charge any longer and needs replacing. Even though it still booted up fine and I always used it plugged in anyways I decided to be proactive and purchase a new battery online to replace.

I received the new battery and changed it, plugged it into the mother board. I then went to turn on the laptop and it will not boot up at all. I let the battery charge for an hour, and still have the same error.

The 3 buttons at the top aswell as backlight jets just flash every 15-30 seconds. I even tried putting in the original battery and still have the same issue.

Does anyone know a fix?

Solution
It could be the battery (old bad new not functioning properly), it could be the charging circuit (which is usually on the motherboard and would mean replacing that). If exchanging the cheaper batter and getting a new OEM one doens't resolve it, then I suggest having it looked at by a tech.
Try putting back the old battery and then turn off the laptop. Completely off, no power on (not sleep or hibernate). Then try charging the battery when it is off. Does it charge then?

BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, some devices won't work at all if they don't have a working battery. They are not that common, but it does happen more and more.

Dec 26, 2018
Old battery and new battery are doing the same thing. Can’t turn on. Can’t tell if either one is charging...

The lights flash and blink white/ orange every let’s say 10 seconds. The fans also spin randomly when the lights flash. Keeps cycling and doing this every 10-15 seconds, exact same light pattern.

I actually managed to get it to turn on after leaving it plugged in last night for 3-4 hours charging with the new battery. I came back to it after the night and it won’t turn on again...

It could be the battery (old bad new not functioning properly), it could be the charging circuit (which is usually on the motherboard and would mean replacing that). If exchanging the cheaper batter and getting a new OEM one doens't resolve it, then I suggest having it looked at by a tech.

Solution