HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition - Is it possible to upgrade GPU by my self

Pandarian

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hi, I'm going to buy this notebook. It comes with integrated Intel® HD Graphics. It gives me the option to upgrade the GPU to NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory for $85.

I'm thinking of buying the notebook without dedicated GPU if its possible to upgrade it later. What do you think? Will the motherboard will support to upgrade the GPU?

Also does it have a extra bay for additional SSD?

Does it worth paying $39 for 24GB flash Hard Drive Acceleration Cache?

Does it worth paying $40 for 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive instead of 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive?

Any other deals better than this for $700 budget?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/E2E34AV?HP-ENVY-15t-j100-Quad-Edition-Notebook-PC-ENERGY-STAR-&jumpid=ba_r329_hhoaffiliate&aid=38293&pbid=lw9MynSeamY&aoid=35252&siteid=lw9MynSeamY-F_m6TqU6red9CVWN43RtdQ

Thanks in advance

Solution
No, it has one 2.5" bay and one mSATA slot. The 24GB drive is mSATA. Only the 17" version has room to add a second 2.5" bay.

You shouldn't need to use legacy, but there are a few programs (Truecrypt boot disk encryption was the one I had issues with) that can't use GPT/UEFI.
I highly doubt you'll be able to upgrade the GPU - it's probably soldered to the motherboard.

IIRC it has a single 2.5" bay, plus an mSATA slot. You could put an mSATA SSD in the slot and have a standard HDD in the bay.

Having two layers of caching is somewhat pointless - don't bother getting both the 24GB flash cache and the hybrid drive; they do the same thing in different places.

If you put a larger mSATA SSD in the mSATA slot, you'll have to pull the 24GB drive. This can corrupt your HDD if you don't properly turn off caching.

Note that if you want to use legacy boot, it will only boot off the first HDD for some stupid reason (assuming the firmware is similar to the 17" version) - you're fine if you use GPT/UEFI, but not if you want to use e.g. Truecrypt and an mSATA boot drive.

Pandarian

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Thanks, Does it worth paying $39 for mSata?

But its i5

tjpsnj

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
This is more a question for "someone somewhere". I am thinking if I buy the 15t-j100 Quad with the 24gb cache it will fill a 2.5" bay. Is that correct? My intention is to add the mSSD for the primary transfer the hp image to that. Remove the HP 5400rpm disk and replace with a full terabyte 7200rpm and in the slot where the ssd cache was slip in a 2.5" SSD. I already have the 240GB mSSD and another 240GB SSD. The second 2.5" SSD is for Virtual machines. I find they perform much better from an SSD.
All this with Windows8.1 should not need legacy boot. Does it make sense or does the cache not use standard SATA? If I leve the bay blank the kit for the second bay is 723420-001. I found that when I was considering the second bay in a 17". But it was too big and didn't have 1080 at the time.

I highly doubt you'll be able to upgrade the GPU - it's probably soldered to the motherboard.

IIRC it has a single 2.5" bay, plus an mSATA slot. You could put an mSATA SSD in the slot and have a standard HDD in the bay.

Having two layers of caching is somewhat pointless - don't bother getting both the 24GB flash cache and the hybrid drive; they do the same thing in different places.

If you put a larger mSATA SSD in the mSATA slot, you'll have to pull the 24GB drive. This can corrupt your HDD if you don't properly turn off caching.

Note that if you want to use legacy boot, it will only boot off the first HDD for some stupid reason (assuming the firmware is similar to the 17" version) - you're fine if you use GPT/UEFI, but not if you want to use e.g. Truecrypt and an mSATA boot drive. [/quotemsg]

No, it has one 2.5" bay and one mSATA slot. The 24GB drive is mSATA. Only the 17" version has room to add a second 2.5" bay.

You shouldn't need to use legacy, but there are a few programs (Truecrypt boot disk encryption was the one I had issues with) that can't use GPT/UEFI.

Solution