Question HP Envy DV7 won't turn on after disassembly, removing the cable that connects it to its screen and reassembly

Apr 15, 2020
Hello,
Hope all is well for yourself and your families in these strange times.
I bought a malfunctioning HP Envy DV7 for $20. The screen stays black after you turn it on, but it still works (or rather, worked, see below) fine if you connect it to an external monitor.
I opened it following a youtube disassembly video, and realized that the cable linking the screen with the mainboard / GPU was badly damaged. I detached the cable and removed it.
I ordered a replacement for the cable. In the meantime, I figured I could keep on using it by connecting it to an external monitor again.
But now it simply will not start when I press the "on" button. It's not completely "dead", either. At least, it charges, the charging light show up, but nothing else happens when I turn it on, no fan noise, nothing. It looks like it's bricked.
So, either:

1) I screwed up when disassembling - reassembling, I'm not that good so that is a serious option, but then do you have any clues about what I could have done wrong?

or

2) The cable that I removed does something essential and the laptop won't start without it, but then what does it do?

Here's the cable on aliexpress.

If anyone could even point me towards the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hisoka95 Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 0
Bonehead74 Laptop Tech Support 1
botasky Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 4
C Laptop Tech Support 1