HP envy m6 will not turn on after reassembly

stageguy5145

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
I took apart my Hp envy m6 laptop to remove the screen so that I could change the lid as it was scratched. I carefully removed all of the components and closely followed HP's repair manual for the machine. I have verified that everything is connected correctly during reassembly by referencing a pic of the machine prior to it being disassembled. When I plug in the power adapter the light near the port glows orange but when I press the power button it will not turn on. No leds on the keyboard or power button. I really appreciate any advice that anyone can give...

CDDogg

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
As with disassembling and then re-assembling any kind of PC or laptop hard-ware, cross referencing with a picture is not specific enough. However, I ran into a similar situation when installing a motherboard into a desktop PC recently. While each plug and cord may match up perfectly they could still be improperly connected because it is in fact each individual pin and each individual sub-wire that have their own specific place to be. I'd recommend disassembling everything completely and re-assemble again. This time when cross-referencing with the picture make sure you pay close attention to not only the location of wires and plugs but also their respective layouts and colors. You may have plugged a cord in the opposite direction or in the wrong plug altogether. If everything is 100% perfect the next step would be to check for damaged components, since you've already tried turning it on and connecting power on a possibly imperfect re-assembly you yourself could've already damaged some components.

stageguy5145

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
Well... I finally got around to disassembling and reassembling the laptop with no luck. So, I went to RadioShack and got a volt meter to test the power adapter, dc jack, and points where power comes out of the motherboard( such as the main board connector). All of these were working correctly and I determined that power was definitely flowing through the mobo. So for the third time I removed the board and this time took out the power button and examined the board and its ribbon cable. Everything once again seemed to be in good shape so I went ahead and pressed it down with the power adapter plugged in and tada... THE MACHINE POWERED ON! Just figured it would be a good idea to post this for anyone else experiencing a similar issue. Upon reseating all components and buttoning up the machine, all was functional and it turned out being a successful repair. Thanks to CDDogg for providing a possible cause!
Model no: Hp envy m6 k010dx