Question HP ENVY x360 15m: fan surge problem

Apr 3, 2020
I bought a brand new HP ENVY x360 15m-dr1012dx in November 2019, and everything worked fine until 3 days ago, when its cooling fan suddenly began to surge at full speed for about a second, stop for a second, then repeat regardless of the laptop's temperature (audio recording of this, this whole process produces noise that's much louder than normal, even louder than the fan normally running at full speed). This has never happened before, and now it always happens for as long as the laptop is powered on, again, regardless of the computer's temperature. Because of this problem heat doesn't appear to dissipate at all, as the fan alternates between full power and no power every second; no air comes out of the vents.

This is a serious issue that may render my laptop unusable. I'm trying to determine if this problem is caused by a software or a hardware issue, to no avail. I've tried everything from system updates and reinstalling the BIOS to dusting both vents, the fan itself, and removing the fan and putting in back in, also to no avail. Is this an issue with the heat sink itself, which would need to be replaced? It does seem that this is a somewhat common issue in this line of ENVY x360 laptops.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 8
D Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 13
Y Laptop Tech Support 5
T Laptop Tech Support 2
Computers Taste Like Metal Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 3