HP G6Z-2200 Options

Andrea_Berretti

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a budget lappy and I have set my sights on the machine in the subject. However, I am unable to find much info concerning upgrading a few bits, namely the RAM and HDD.

It comes with 4GB in one of two DIMM slots, but can be upgraded by HP to 8GB in both DIMM slots for $100. I haven't been able to figure out what kind of RAM chip it would come with, making me unable to decide if the $100 is fair or if I would be better off buying the extra chip separately.

Also, there is no mention of what kind of HDD the machine uses, or can use. It would appear to be a non-SSD since it comes in at 500GB 5400 RPM drive and can be upgraded to a 750GB 7200 RPM drive. Would anyone know if it would support SSD?

Here is a link to the machine:

HP G6Z-2200

I would also be open to suggestions for another lappy if someone knows of one with more bang for the buck.

$100 is ridiculous for what I would imagine is a 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM. Hell, you can even get 2x8GB for that price now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301205

For a normal 4GB stick, about $30 would be the going rate. Running different types of RAM doesn't always work that well though.

SSDs (at least the 2.5" ones) take the same amount of space and use the same connectors as a standard laptop HDD.

Solution

Andrea_Berretti

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Indeed, $100 does seems like a bit of a mark-up. And the maximum being 8GB also seems odd since it's a 64-bit OS, so I'm guessing there is either a BIOS limitation or it's an arbitrary store limit.

Thank you for the heads-up about the SSD being compatible. I've only heard of them and never actually looked into researching them before.

Andrea_Berretti

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

That does seem likely. This does look to be a decent budget machine. My intention is to remove Windows and install a Linux distribution, probably Mint.

Andrea_Berretti

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

It turns out the RAM used is, according to the customer rep I received an email from, "either a DDR3 PC3-10600 or DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module." Also, it cannot support any RAM over 8GB. It seems unusual, but it's not really a deal breaker since my desktop is sitting at 8GB and I don't really intend to use the lappy for gaming except for the occasional game of League of Legends.