Hp laptop dv pavilion 2500 hD

JoeIndia

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Hello Friends,
I quite unfortunately do have a HP Pavilion dv2500 Laptop.My laptop is on windows Vista hope premium is having issues with booting. Windows usually result in a black screen, sometimes with a blinking DOS cursor. After multiple attepmts (ranging to 10 times a day) the machine will be booting but then suddenly all the application will freeze with a blue screen error code 0x0000008E. I have done a system restore, reinstalled the OS (restore to factory settings) and has scanned it with almost all the antivirus (Norton,Mc Cafee,Spybot,Cyber defender,Malwarebytes) and all returned with no infection. I have tried to reinstall the drivers nothing worked. I have upgraded the system with windows 7 and all worked well for a day. Again I tried to re-install Windows XP but blue screen stopped. As a last choice I have installed Ubuntu and during the installation process has deleted the HD partition as well. But I still get booting issues and if i login it will crash. I did perform a memory test (Pass) and a perform a hard drive self test with result IDE device not found. I checked the diagnostic log with result failure 10008 which points to HD error. During Ubuntu installation the log pointed to Bad sectors as well.

Now what Puzzles me the most is 1. My laptop yesterday worked perfectly fine for four hours. How can this happen if there is a HDD error. Any inputs much appreciated.
2. Will a chnage in HD resolve the issue?

G

I think you've answered the question yourself. Everything points to HD failure. Replace with one of approx same size to avoid complications.

rpg123

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I would be calling HP customer service as they can probably help you the most, and maybe get you a replacement laptop. If your warranty is expired and you have an extra hd, swapping hd would be worth trying.

Many people have commented on HP laptops having overheating problems. Nvidia gpus also have had many problems with overheating. Putting them together in a laptop is not a good idea.

JoeIndia

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Friends,

I have replaced the Hard Disk and all was well till Yesterday. But again the PC crashed

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: fe
BCP1: 00000008
BCP2: 00000006
BCP3: 00000006
BCP4: 8748B978
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:

1. C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080110-01.dmp: Am not able to access the file.Access denied

2. C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-89918-0.sysdata.xml: Am not able to access the file.Access denied

3. C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD835.tmp.version.txt: No meanigful description. Any clue whats happening. Many Thanks

G

I'm sorry that the suggestions didn't help. I would next look at memory -- if you've added a module, try removing it -- in fact if there are two remove one and see if the machine will run and then swap it with the other if it does (or doesn't).

Note the comment by rpg123 about HP laptops -- I gather a class action is brewing against the company for laptop failures in which case your dealer may be more helpful than usual.