HP laptop screen stays black when I turn it on

NikoFree

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
When I turn my laptop on, the screen stays black. No cursor or background picture at all. I have tried turning it off, taking the battery out and holding the power button for about 30 seconds but it still is the same.
The laptop is about 3 or so years old (maybe more) it is an HP Pavilion G series.
Over the past year, I have gotten the "blue screen of death", but thankfully somehow I still was able to work with the laptop. It worked well after that, it cut off here and there or overheat but overall it got be by. Now, it just won't start up. The keyboard lights are on and you can hear the fan and such working, but the screen is completely black (like it's off). Anyone have advice? I'm not good with computers at all so please go into detail. I would like to somehow fix this problem myself as I am not financially able to purchase a new desktop or laptop right now.
If you need further information (or even a video) let me know.

Can you see the screen's backlight? (If the screen is illuminated but you get no picture, then the problem is most likely your graphics adapter, which would need repaired or replaced.)

If there's absolutely nothing - no video and no backlight/illumination - then either the video cable that connects the screen to the main board needs reseated, replaced, or the screen needs to be replaced (it's a matter of trial and error).

NikoFree

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

No, there is no backlight at all on the screen. The only thing that is lit up is the power button and the wifi key onthe keyboard.
This happened before, and I got it work by waiting a day or two and turning it back on, but it has since been a week this time, and no luck.
If it is the video cable - would that be an easy fix either me or GeekSquad can quickly fix?

If it's hardware failure (screen or cable or video adapter) then GeekSquad can sort of help; I believe they send the system out to a facility that does that kind of work. It would be better if you can find a local shop/technician that does the work though, that way the service isn't being outsourced and shipped back and forth.

You can check the cable's connection yourself, but you may need a guide/service manual to help you out. I don't recommend you go for it unless you feel comfortable and have some experience with tearing down laptops.

Bmadsen

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Hi,

My HP Pavilion G is now doing this. I'm a student and I need my laptop!! Lol!! It turns on after trying over and over but it's scaring me as its done this 3 times in the last 4 days. Did you figure out what the problem was?? Mine is almost 4 yrs old.