Info HP MXM Upgrade Megathread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2022
Hello there, very interesting topic.
I have HP Zbook 15 G2 which I hardmoded to support MXM-B cards.
Last time I burnt my K4100M and due to lack of replacement in good price so I decided to buy standard MXM-A GPU.

At first I had some problems with drivers, but eventually it worked. When I ran hp driver installation wizard there was info about compatible GPUs (including those from Zbook G1, G2, G3 and G4)

Here is my laptop after mods:

Hi,
Great job you've done here!
Just a silly question about your work: did you remove the sata connector from the DVD drive in the way of the MXM card?
If you did, how did you do it, ripped it off or unsoldered the conn ?

Nov 20, 2022
Not apologizing for skepticism, but anecdotes aren't going to be enough. Do you have CPU-Z or GPU-Z screenshots showing this? I posted all I could to prove Pascal worked on the ZBooks.
Sure mate:

You have many vbios on 2nd and 3rd page that enable the DP output.
Post from ThatTrainGuy on page 3 (July 31st) explains it all.
Tried it myself, vbios works great although I did not try the max O/C ones (OC3 & OC4) as the card runs very HOT already.

Main problem also is: does not have fan auto regulation (needs hwinfo64 on M6800 or notebookfanctl on zbook). On MSI GT60/70 there's no way to bypass EC control and the fan runs at 100%

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
May 11, 2022
Great job you've done here!
Don't encourage a narcissist.

Just a silly question about your work: did you remove the sata connector from the DVD drive in the way of the MXM card?
If you did, how did you do it, ripped it off or unsoldered the conn ?
I ripped mine off. It's pretty difficult to desolder without disassembling the entire laptop and for a little SATA port, it's not worth it the 2 hours you're spending disassembling and reassembling.

Nov 20, 2022
Don't encourage a narcissist.

I don't know the guy so I would not judge...

I ripped mine off. It's pretty difficult to desolder without disassembling the entire laptop and for a little SATA port, it's not worth it the 2 hours you're spending disassembling and reassembling.

Ok thank you very much. I've been thinking about this for awhile. I was afraid the heatsink was too "soft" for a 75/100W card. But according to your experiment it seems to work great! I might end up doing the same with a s7100x in the zbook :)

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
May 11, 2022
Ok thank you very much. I've been thinking about this for awhile. I was afraid the heatsink was too "soft" for a 75/100W card. But according to your experiment it seems to work great! I might end up doing the same with a s7100x in the zbook
ZBook 15 G2 was tested with an M3000M, M4000M, and P3000. Temperatures were fine. Do note that you will lose performance to a hard limited power budget of 75W. BIOS mods cannot fix this.

I even blocked off the GPU vent completely and it took the P3000 19 minutes of FurMark to reach thermal throttling level of 91c.

Here's a modded M4000M BIOS for the ZBook 17 I think, I don't remember anymore.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/234315/234315

Nov 20, 2022
ZBook 15 G2 was tested with an M3000M, M4000M, and P3000. Temperatures were fine. Do note that you will lose performance to a hard limited power budget of 75W. BIOS mods cannot fix this.

I even blocked off the GPU vent completely and it took the P3000 19 minutes of FurMark to reach thermal throttling level of 91c.
Pascal are definitely great cards. But hard to get and expensive in Europe... :(
I'd go for P106 but the ZBook is muxed and according to schematics display port is direcly hooked to MXM so I'd loose all external display but VGA out... At least with S7100x I'd still have working video outputs, even with a docking station.

Anyway I'll definitely follow your route for the zbook 15 modification.
I suppose you already know that but on Zbook G1/G2, msata/m2 disks cannot be used as boot disk if another sata disk is connected, unless you force EFI script :)
That's a good point especially on G2 as it's m2 pci express x2

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
May 11, 2022
I'd go for P106 but the ZBook is muxed and according to schematics display port is direcly hooked to MXM so I'd loose all external display but VGA out... At least with S7100x I'd still have working video outputs, even with a docking station.
There are no schematics for the 2nd gen ZBooks, and the first gen cannot be trusted to be similar.

I suppose you already know that but on Zbook G1/G2, msata/m2 disks cannot be used as boot disk if another sata disk is connected, unless you force EFI script :)
That's a good point especially on G2 as it's m2 pci express x2
Yeah I used Clover on an SDCard.

Nov 20, 2022
There are no schematics for the 2nd gen ZBooks, and the first gen cannot be trusted to be similar.

Honestly, I don't think they modified the graphics part. It all look like same hardware between G1 and G2 in that area...

Yeah I used Clover on an SDCard.
did not know that bootloader, might come in handy. Thanks

By any chance, do you know why Zbook G1/G2 keyboard keys with age often fail, or need hard input to work?
Is there any fix? Backlit KB are super expensive, especially AZERTY french ones.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
May 11, 2022
By any chance, do you know why Zbook G1/G2 keyboard keys with age often fail, or need hard input to work?
Thin membrane and dust buildup since there is a fan intake as part of the keyboard.

Is there any fix? Backlit KB are super expensive, especially AZERTY french ones.
Just buy a US layout and switch the keys, lol. Only takes six hours of messing with the tiny plastic pieces.
G9, I'm amazed the other poster's company was letting a G5 go as they're still brand new.

I get a new laptop from my company and can take over the old one dirt cheap: HP Zbook Fury 17 G5 (Intel UHD630 + NVIDIA Quadro P1000).
yeah speaking of why is your company getting rid of the G5s? They're only 2 years old. Any chance I can buy one?

Nov 23, 2022
Hi, recently I bought a Zbook 15 G2 and i'm doing some upgrades. I will buy the Quadro M1000M to replace the old K2100m, it should work fine? I'm already buying with the HP bios version, the only thing I need to do it's modify the windows .inf driver files right?

Another question I have, about the temperatures, my i7-4810mq reaches 100ºc in some scenarios like playing GTA IV, I've limited the CPU usage to 70% and now it's working fine at maximum 80ºc, should I replace the thermal paste or these temperatures are normal? Since the CPU and GPU shares the same heating system, the m1000m will overheat as well? Because my K2100m maximum tempeture is 65ºC.

(I'm buying the m1000m instead of the m2200m because of lower tdp and is more cheaper in my country)

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
May 11, 2022
Hi, recently I bought a Zbook 15 G2 and i'm doing some upgrades. I will buy the Quadro M1000M to replace the old K2100m, it should work fine? I'm already buying with the HP bios version, the only thing I need to do it's modify the windows .inf driver files right?

Another question I have, about the temperatures, my i7-4810mq reaches 100ºc in some scenarios like playing GTA IV, I've limited the CPU usage to 70% and now it's working fine at maximum 80ºc, should I replace the thermal paste or these temperatures are normal? Since the CPU and GPU shares the same heating system, the m1000m will overheat as well? Because my K2100m maximum tempeture is 65ºC.

(I'm buying the m1000m instead of the m2200m because of lower tdp and is more cheaper in my country)
Yes, m1000m works fine. Might need some driver jankery. INF mod doesn't always work on windows 10.

Those temps aren't normal, but the zbook 15 has really poor cpu thermals either way. I strongly recommend thoroughly cleaning the laptop inside, including the fan and vents.

The laptop doesn't have any problems handling high power gpus as it's hard limited to 75w, but can handle the m3000m just fine.

The CPU and GPU do not share a cooling system, they are independent of one another.

Nov 20, 2022
Yes, m1000m works fine. Might need some driver jankery. INF mod doesn't always work on windows 10.

Those temps aren't normal, but the zbook 15 has really poor cpu thermals either way. I strongly recommend thoroughly cleaning the laptop inside, including the fan and vents.

The laptop doesn't have any problems handling high power gpus as it's hard limited to 75w, but can handle the m3000m just fine.

The CPU and GPU do not share a cooling system, they are independent of one another.
Hi,
by any chance do you have a working vbios for quadro m3000m for zbook?
My zbook 17 is bios locked with hybrid graphics deactivated.
I tried different vbios but I can't output to the zbook panel nor via display port.
84.04.9B.00.07 works great on dell precision (on panel + hdmi/DP out) but not in zbook...
84.04.83.00.0C works on precision but only with optimus. If only dedicated I have black screen.
Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 5
Z Laptop General Discussion 2
Cleggsta Laptop General Discussion 4
T0biasCZe Laptop General Discussion 3
M Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 3
jklav1234 Laptop General Discussion 5
Neo Beat Laptop General Discussion 3