HP notebook won't turn on after suddenly shutting down.

Officialjonsnow

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
I was using my laptop (HP Notebook, AY041WM) and it justness suddenly shut off. I tried simply pushing the power button after making sure that it was plugged in and that the battery was in properly, and it just would not turn back on at all. No battery indication light or anything. This has never happened on this laptop before and it's basically brand new. My old laptop had issues with its battery so that's what I checked first, but even with the power cord plugged in, my laptop would not turn back on at all!

Maybe five minutes later, after just leaving my PC closed and plugged in, I noticed that the battery indication light had come back on and would instantly go out when I unplugged it. I tried turning it on again and the fans came on, but other than that pretty much nothing. The caps lock light was blinking on and off for some reason, but the screen stayed blank and nothing else happened.

I just wanna know what this could be. Like I said I originally thought it was my battery, but now I'm thinking it is something more to do with circuitry or perhaps just the motherboard in general? I'm really not sure.

Solution
I few things. I know your notebook is new, but still, the problem with the G62 series was that due to heat, it lost connection somewhere and you could not turn it on. If all lined up, it would turn on and stay on, but if you shut it off, you could not turn it back on. Fan would come on, lights were blinking but thats all.

Another thing. My sister has an Elitebook, a few years old as well, core2duo I think. One time it just shut down, later someone got it going again, but no idea how. He was pushing things,(moving it around?!). So yesterday, I was on with her on FB. Suddenly she is gone. Same thing happened. That knight and next day, tried everything to turn it back on. At 9pm it just started working. Now, she is not very technical, so...

anbu13

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
To find if the battery is culprit remove the battery and just plug in the AC power cord now turn on the laptop, see if it works on AC without the battery. If it doesn't work motherboard should be the problem. I hope the laptop has warranty since its brand new and claim the warranty.

Officialjonsnow

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

Thanks for the response! I failed to mention it in my original post, but I did try turning it on with only the AC adapter plugged in and it didn't work - this is what made me think that it was a more serious hardware issue to begin with.

I followed some steps on HPs help page and ended up doing a hard reset. I was able to get a really quick message telling me that it's an issue with my cooling fan.

Leslie2017

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I few things. I know your notebook is new, but still, the problem with the G62 series was that due to heat, it lost connection somewhere and you could not turn it on. If all lined up, it would turn on and stay on, but if you shut it off, you could not turn it back on. Fan would come on, lights were blinking but thats all.

Another thing. My sister has an Elitebook, a few years old as well, core2duo I think. One time it just shut down, later someone got it going again, but no idea how. He was pushing things,(moving it around?!). So yesterday, I was on with her on FB. Suddenly she is gone. Same thing happened. That knight and next day, tried everything to turn it back on. At 9pm it just started working. Now, she is not very technical, so the details are questionable, but there is more.

After the computer turned off, we started to text. I was trying to help with the computer. After 2 exchanges the phone started to turn off. I don't want to lie as I just had a short conversation with her, but happened a few times. This was in south Germany. So some weird stuff.

Solution