HP Pavailion dv6 3210us-- screen goes white

computa_cat55

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Looking at this for someone; screen will go white at times, computer is still going- is okay when hooked to an external monitor; started after a driver update; person rolled back the driver but problem continued; MAY be related to heat or high cpu usage -- I've noticed it happening when more than one program running and have heard fan seem to kick into high gear (like airplane getting ready to take off), but I am not sure about either of those since it has also happened on first booting up a couple of times. Had a defective AC Adapter for some time, not sure how long, now has a new one. The problem

Here is what I have tried:
updated and ran Spybot, removed items found
installed Avast free, did quick scan
updated BIOS and graphics driver from HP site (that one may have been 2010 version, I found download link for one saying 2013 on AMD site, will try that next)
ran various diagnostics: keeps failing the DST Short test, even goes white during that sometimes): read that this indicates harddrive failing; could this be part of the white screen problem
did full disc check
cleaned out with CCleaner
checked and removed some unneeded startup items via msconfig

Adamh94

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
i doubt its your GPU starting to fail. it seems more likely that your screen cable/ lcd is on the way out. But a simple solution that has retified this is installing a different HDD.

lasrdfw

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014
Did you ever figure this one out? I'm having the same problem with a HP Pavilion g7 laptop. It is quite annoying. Especially for a laptop just out of its warranty period.

whitey86

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
Hey

Sounds like led cable issue. You could try taking the screen bezel off then removing the screen and reseating the cable in the connection.

You could also totally disassemble you laptop down to the mainboard and see if the connection to the mainboard if loose

If not i say a new cable could be needed

Hp g6 are known for this so i can see its bigger brother being the same.

Let me know if this helps