HP Pavilion Battery Indicator light flashes all the time, on A/C Power or Battery

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hi. I bought my wife an HP Pavilion 15-cs0053cl laptop from Fry's Electronics the other day. It was sold as Certified Factory Refurbished & appears that it will work fine for what she intends to use it for.
I setup Windows 10 & everything works as it should with one minor exception: the battery indicator light constantly flashes white, regardless of power source & even irrespective of the power STATE. So that bastard is blinking 5 times (once per second), then it's off for 4 seconds & starts blinking again. This cycle repeats constantly & was even doing it after the laptop was shut down & unplugged! According to the User Guide, these are the light conditions & what they mean:
● White: The AC adapter is connected & the battery is fully charged.

● Blinking white: The AC adapter is disconnected & the battery has reached a low battery level.

● Amber: The AC adapter is connected & the battery is charging.

● Off: The battery is not charging.

I plugged it in to carry out the initial setup of WinBlows 10 & after that I left it plugged in so the battery would fully charge while I made the various tweaks & adjustments to the OS & disabled as much reporting to the Mother-ship that I could. The entire time I was doing that, the light was Blinking White. Not once did it turn amber, off, or go solid white. Blinking white is the only thing it has done.

For what it's worth, when I eventually got to where I could see the indicator on the taskbar, it showed the battery was at 12%, on A/C power & charging. I allowed it to charge to 100% full & shut it down. I noticed the light was still blinking & since I intended to condition the battery anyway, I left the A/C adapter plugged in for a couple hours, then unplugged it & went to bed.

I woke up this morning to finish the battery calibration & the light is still blinking white, running solely on battery power at ~74% charge according to the little taskbar icon.

Any help is appreciated & to be honest, I half get the feeling that after the battery finishes the initial calibration, things will run as they normally should. If they do I will try to remember to mark this as Solved. Again, thanks for the help & have a killer day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Laptop General Discussion 0
E Laptop General Discussion 1
NROD Laptop General Discussion 1
Valerio Kiose Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 0
T Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
V Laptop General Discussion 0
T Laptop General Discussion 3
J Laptop General Discussion 10
M Laptop General Discussion 5