HP Pavilion DV9913cl shuts down unexpectedly and won't work more than 3 seconds 2 times in a row

mariothespinnint

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
I have an HP Pavilion DV9913cl laptop for about 5 years. Last 2 years it's been storaged as broken. Recently I tried to fix it, and I have this issue: it works for 30 minutes to 1 hour, and then the fan starts working very fast at some point and it shuts down unexpectedly. After that, it won't turn on for some time (5 to 10 minutes), and then it works again, but shorter than the first time. At first, I tought it was an overheating issue (because it has a long overheating history), but the fact that even if I turn it on for 3 seconds and then off, and then I try to turn it on again and it won't work makes me think. No matter how long it worked for the first time, second time it shuts down after 3 seconds or so. Laptop has a huge overheating history, I even think that the chipset has been changed. I tried changing the termal compound, cleaning the dust, fan works fine and I even flashed BIOS to the newest version. Anyone got an idea?

mariothespinnint

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Yes, as I have said above. I have tried everything that would make sense. I am suspicious about some other hardware damage, like CPU, GPU, maybe chipset. It used to overheat that much that the motherboard has literally turned brown, almost black on couple of places (around CPU for example). But again, I think that if something was really broken, it wouldn't work any way. Now I have a new issue. The screen goes black, but I can hear the fan and the power button led is on. Caps lock, charging and HDD leds don't work at all. Then after 30 seconds to 1 minute it comes back. Yesterday I have left it on the window, so that it cools even better (it was around zero degrees celsius outside), and I think that temperature sensor has gone to hell, because the Temp1 (don't know what that is) and GPU in SpeedFan go to 93 degrees celsius, and in the next moment, it's 81. I would understand if it was otherwise, but I don't get this at all. Again, it went completely off after some time, so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with temperature. I heard that some laptops automatically shut down when they reach some potentialy dangerous temps, so if the sensors are broken, it might be that.

mariothespinnint

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

I tried with HWMonitor (Real Temp doesn't work with my CPU) and temps are still jumping like crazy up and down even for 10 degrees celsius in a second. I'm almost sure that sensors have gone to hell. If anything comes to your mind what could be the problem, I'd be thankful!