HP Pavilion Entertainment PC issue

jpkang

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hi everyone, I seem to be like King Midas but instead I break everything I touch. I have a rough year so far with computers that my first laptop broke, then my desktop, and now my brother's laptop. So, my brother and I have the exact same laptop and we both had it for about 5 years. Mine broke first, basically a GPU issue. And now his seems to not be working as well.

So, it is a fairly old laptop, but it was working perfeclty fine. I was just browsing the internet and all of a suden, it shuts off on its own and will not turn on again. The AC adapter still has its indicating light that it works but pressing the power button does nothing. I have already tried the power drain/hard reset trick and still nothing. I have not tested the RAM or Mobo as of yet since I personally do not know how to take it apart. But I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this issue or if there is another thread I can look at, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
The possible problems I could think of are :

DC jack separated from the motherboard (or DC jack broken) and the laptop doesn’t get any power from the AC adapter. In this case the DC jack has to be replaced.

Laptop motherboard failed. If that’s the case, most likely the laptop not worth fixing.

check the spec of the laptop if it has a build in nvidia video gpu. it may be the video chipset. there was a class action lawsuit from nvidia and laptop vendor do to a large batch of gpu chips that were defective. some vendor like hp in the class action had to replace the laptops. i would check online the spec for your laptop. if they do have the faulty video chips contact the vendor for a case number for them to replace/repair the unit. on the second laptop that went poof were you on a carpeted floor or on a bed?? the unit may have over heated. with the ac bricks check there output..with a volt meter..i seen bricks that 1/2 of the brick go bad so that there is voltage output but it too low to run the laptop.

jpkang

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks.

For the second laptop, I was on my desk and its not the battery that has the issue but the built in adapter that what turn the computer on. But I will test anyways.