HP Pavillion dv7 black screen.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemaynee

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
My dad has a HP Pavillion dv7 and recently it stop showing video. It appears to be stuck in sleep mode. All the lights come on the keyboard and than it two lights blink as if it were in sleep mode.

No hard drive activity is happening at all. Looking at the light at least.

This is what i have tried so far to fix it

tried hooking it up to an external display, vga and hdmi. nothing. no signal.

Turned it on with the ac adapter plugged in. Removed battery with it still on. Turn off, wait 5-10 seconds. Turn back on with just ac adapter, no battery. That hasn't worked.

I let the cmos battery unplugged overnight. Hasn't worked.

Tried holding F2, Delete, F8 while first turning it on to try and enter bios. No luck.

Using one RAM module at a time in both slots. Hasn't worked.

CTRL ALT DELETE, HOME KEY, all while on and nothing.

it sounds like a normal laptop when you turn it on (fans, and lights). All the lights stay on and than the the two keys start blinking as if it were in sleep mode.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. It would be cool if i could return his laptop in working condition. I am out of ideas and there is not much trouble shooting information on the web on this laptop.

thanks in advance!

tinstar1

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I had exactly the same problem on my dv7. I tried every possible fix, but nothing worked. Sometimes booting up took up to one hour. I figured that it wasn't working now, that I would go into the bios and see what was the booting order was. Sure enough, number one was floppy drive, number two was dvd rom, and the last was hard drive disk. So I took a chance and moved the hard drive disk to the number one position,,,,,That was the fix....runs perfectly fine now.

GOOD GUY

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
HAVE DV7 1245DX, GO TO U TUBE WATCH HOW TO TAKE APART LAP TOP , I REFLOWED VIDEO CHIP ONLY, WITH ALUMINUM FOIL AROUND THE VIDEO CHIP TOOK OUT PROCESSOR BOUGHT A CHEAP HEAT GUN 15.00 FROM HARBOR FREIGHT ASSEMBLED IT WORKED i ALSO PLACED SMALL COPPER CHIPS A LITTLE BIGGER THAN BOTH VIDEO CHIPS CUT A SMALL PIECE OF COPPER FROM THE HEAT SINK TO THE UNSINKED CHIP, A LITTLE FOAM ON TOP TO PUSH DOWN ON TO CHIP, CUT OUT THE FANS INTAKE PLASTIC FOR MORE AIR FLOW. i CAN SEND PICS TO ANY ONE THAT ASKS. ABLUEMAX@NETZERO.NET THE LAP TOP RUNS COOLER PLAN TO PLACE A SCREEN OVER FANS INTAKE......................................HOPE IT HELPS ANYONE OUT...........................

Boca_G

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
I've followed your tutorial on your fix and have a one question. When using the heat gun, are you operating on high heat or low? I did not want to overhear the chips so I did the procedure on low and still have the same problem. Figured I would ask before I took her apart again. I have no problem opening her back up and doing it again, but wanted clarification. Or should I consider the MB a loss and purchase a new one, or a new machine.

I hate t throw things out, especially without doing all I can to get them running again.

Thanks for the info,
Boca

dv7 hater

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

yeah right theirs no hole your a dreamer!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Koryciak

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hi, I have a hp dv7 that had a black screen for weeks- Today i used masking tape over ALL the vents and left it on for 5-6 hours- I shut it down and let it cool for 1/2 hour and it came on.. I just backed up my files to a external hd and am sending this out right now to you guys... Try it -- it worked for me.. I do have the battery removed { I didn't want that to get real hot} Through the whole process.

Jeff Koryciak

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hi, I have a hp dv7 that had a black screen for weeks- Today i used masking tape over ALL the vents and left it on for 5-6 hours- I shut it down and let it cool for 1/2 hour and it came on.. I just backed up my files to a external hd and am sending this out right now to you guys... Try it -- it worked for me.. I do have the battery removed { I didn't want that to get real hot} Through the whole process.

Jeff Koryciak

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Jeff Koryciak

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Try taping up all the vents with masking tape and leave it on for 5-6 hours...Turn it off for 1/2 hour and see if it works-- It did for me...I was able to back up all my files in case it happens again... I removed the battery during the whole process..

Emill

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
Hi guys! I have a problem with Hp Presario CQ65-160SQ> northbridege ATI Radeon HD 4200 working fine after reflow. Then, after 1 weeks I got a black screen. Every 3 time of reflowing. Now I.m not shutting down my laptop about 3 weeks and it working fine. My question is> Why my laptop keep working? What if there is a problem with bios diagnostic? Can someone tell me if BIOS can be modified to jump over that GPU failure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.