HP Planning Mainstream 3D Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
This would be really nice for CAD designers, engineers,etc who are just starting up esp. starting their own business. If this can be made for less than $2500 with similar features to the high end Rapid prototypers/3D printers, I can see this helping out quite a decent amount of people in their jobs/business.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]AWESOME!Now lets see them "print" a transistor with it. Then a diode. Then a CPU.[/citation]

You wouldn't use a 3d printer for that, they are already experimenting with printers that can print circuits.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Honestly, I've had enough of this new 3D shit. And only companies are people that are really really wealthy are going to buy this.

Don't get me wrong, concept is really, really cool. But practical applications? Psh, yeah, ok..

G

"And only companies are people that are really really wealthy are going to buy this."

Yeah, I bet they're the same guys with personal computers in their offices, Mr. 1975.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
It's about time. The technology has been around for a long time. I don't know if they have a market though. Where I am, there are tons of rapid prototyping shops with day-after service. The technology (materials, printers, resolution) improves very quickly. I don't think I would invest in one unless it becomes my bread & butter. In my experiance, clients want the best quality prototypes - and the $2500 (or even the $15000) last year model will not deliver.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
modeling and art...and perhaps, depending on how strong the material is, it can be used to make some spare parts for various things. a grill for a case fan, door handle, a cup holder attached to my monitor?

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i'm faily sure every guy will print out some hot girl for the funnies but once it runs out of material to print the models, how much will it cost to replace?

It is now also time for a new wave of printer rage. if you thought paper jams were bad, imagine the headaches this can cause

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Thank you Very much for that MakerBot link!!!

I have been dreaming about having one of these for Many years, but did not know they were so accessible hehehe

Already dreaming about what I can be making with it.

Lunarion

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
This would be epic to play a joke on someone with. Just get into their network and print out a giant penis then quickly leave.

hjghgh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
you can print circuits in our optoelectronic lab...it's done on pcb artist then we laminate onto the copper.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Lunarion[/nom]This would be epic to play a joke on someone with. Just get into their network and print out a giant penis then quickly leave.[/citation]
I NEED ONE OF THESE PRINTERS!

All my neighbors could have a set of my balls hanging around. ^_^

The MakerBot is also damned cool. =D

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
If these devices become cheaper to operate and own, they can be a god-sent for people that want to start selling hobby items like: model kit upgrade parts, unpainted figures, etc. Currently these require incredibly expensive injection molding dies or require labour intensive resin casting.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Since HP makes it, the drivers will also install 27 useless programs that no one wants, 18 of which will automatically run on startup.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
LOL

Once cheap laser scanners come out...

they will be trying to ban these to stop people making illegal copies of all kindsa stuff xD

Status
Not open for further replies.