Solved! Hp probook 640 g2 won't turn on

Sep 24, 2019
Hi all. I have an HP Probook 640 g2. About two months ago, it wouldn't turn on. I removed the battery, put it back in, and it turned on and worked fine for about a month. Then, it started only working when plugged in-even though the battery showed on the bottom of the screen as being charged. Yesterday, I couldn't turn it on again. I removed and replaced the battery twice and it turned back on and worked fine. It also worked fine today until a few hours ago. I was using it and I bumped it off the arm of the couch. It didn't fall far and landed on a beanbag so I know there was no damage, but the screen closed and the computer immediately turned off and I haven't been able to get it back on. I tried removing the battery and holding the power button down and powering it up without the battery, tried removing and replacing the battery multiple times, and nothing. Everything I've read doesn't seem to fit with either the battery or the charger being bad. Any ideas?

Solution
It sounds like you may have more than one problem. It could actually be the battery not sitting correctly and also be dying. They can show a false charge % when they are going. However, the only way that would lead to it not turning on at all is if the device won't work without a working battery. Some won't, but not all.

Since you said you dropped it, even without it hitting something hard, it could still have had internal damage. It doesn't take a lot.

I would suggest having the laptop looked at by a tech.
It sounds like you may have more than one problem. It could actually be the battery not sitting correctly and also be dying. They can show a false charge % when they are going. However, the only way that would lead to it not turning on at all is if the device won't work without a working battery. Some won't, but not all.

Since you said you dropped it, even without it hitting something hard, it could still have had internal damage. It doesn't take a lot.

I would suggest having the laptop looked at by a tech.

Solution