HP tablet battery drains and shuts down

EndlessMidnight

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I have an HP tablet one night I was using and it started acting like it never did before, it got so hot my hands were burning and it started to drain faster, I stopped using and when I woke up next day it was completely drained and it shut down, after that it has never been the same, whenever charge it it reaches 99% and then it takes like an hour to get to 100%, sometimes the same thing that happened the first time happens again, it gets hot and it drains completely.
I used the restore to factory settings option and it still happens, is this something I could fix or should I take it to the store where I bought it?

g-unit1111

Distinguished
What kind of tablet is it? Is it a Windows tablet or is it an Android tablet? I have an HP Stream 7 and I've been experiencing the same problem with battery life, I wonder if it's a mutually exclusive thing or if it's product wide. If it's a product wide thing we could pressure HP into issuing a recall.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I also have an HP Stream 7, and well, the battery is only about 3000 mAH as far as I've been able to ascertain, so that means you can drain it in 1 - 2 hours or less, of intensive use, which isn't actually a malfunction, just a limitation of the platform under heavy loads.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I have this and a Dell Venue 8. The thing that bothers me is that HP advertises a 14 hour battery life when it's really only like 2.5 at the most. My Dell Venue 8 has a much better battery and a much longer battery life. Although that's really what you get when you spend $99 on a tablet vs. $299.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
They can claim it, but when was the last time you've actually believed the marketing material? :)

I've gotten my V8P to last me 15 hours before, but you really have to be performing tasks that don't bring the processor out of idle, and turn the screen off when not actively using it. It helps that the battery has more than 60% higher capacity than the HP. I've not tried to see just how far I can push the HP yet, but I doubt it would be anywhere near 14 hours.