Question Hp z book 17 g3 with intel core i7 6820hq with quadro m1000m vs hp z book 17 g3 with intel core i7 6700 hq with quadro m3000m

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2022
Hello friends, I have an opportunity to buy one of these two workstations , I'm wondering which one would be the best option, the first workstation is HP z book 17 with intel core i7 6820hq with nvidia quadro M1000M of 2gb and the second one is HP z book 17 g3 with intel core i7 6700hq with nvidia quadro M3000M of 4gb, the ram and ssd storages are the same, which one would be better, I understand the core i7 6820hq has 8mb cache in L3 while the core i7 6700hq has 6mb cache in L3, could the M3000M change the game despite being paired with a 6mb cache L3 intel processor. I appreciate your response

These are both older processors. It is likely the case that Win 10 will work (I can't guarantee that) but Win 11 will not. Here is the compatibility list for Win11: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors.

Win 10 will be supported by MS for a few more years but all earlier OSes are no longer supported (with a few exceptions for large customers). Lack of support means you won't get security upgrades. These upgrades are important as they are often vulnerabilities that are not caught by anti-virus or other protections.

Reactions: Jill E. Turner

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Hello friends, I have an opportunity to buy one of these two workstations , I'm wondering which one would be the best option, the first workstation is HP z book 17 with intel core i7 6820hq with nvidia quadro M1000M of 2gb and the second one is HP z book 17 g3 with intel core i7 6700hq with nvidia quadro M3000M of 4gb, the ram and ssd storages are the same, which one would be better, I understand the core i7 6820hq has 8mb cache in L3 while the core i7 6700hq has 6mb cache in L3, could the M3000M change the game despite being paired with a 6mb cache L3 intel processor. I appreciate your response

The M3000M is much better than the M1000M. I would know, I have one.

The 6820HQ is not any more meaningfully better than the 6700HQ.

The benefit of the ZBook though is that you can upgrade the graphics at any time, so if you plan to do this, the 6820HQ may last slightly longer performance wise.

See my thread on upgrading the ZBook 17 G2, which still applies to the G3.

These upgrades are important as they are often vulnerabilities that are not caught by anti-virus or other protections.

This is objectively false. It depends entirely on what the customer does with their PC. I still have several laptops on Windows 7, as they're only used for YouTube and Facebook around the condo, there have been no security issues whatsoever.

Security is only a problem when a user is presented with a security risk, i.e. going to a suspect website, downloading suspect programs, or opening their network to viruses through other means like a peer-to-peer sharing network.

The real reason to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 is because of DirectX11, Vulkan, and newer APIs. There is a compatibility layer to allow certain DirectX 12 features on Windows 7, however some new programs require API versions that Windows 7 does not support due to its age. The reason for companies upgrading to Windows 10 is usually never about security.

It is likely the case that Win 10 will work (I can't guarantee that) but Win 11 will not.

Windows 11 works fine on PCs as old as Core 2 from 2007. Please research a topic before providing an answer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YLv-V9oobM

May 22, 2022
I appreciate a lot the response, in my case I don't have plan to upgrade the graphics for now, I just want to the workstation as it is then later on I will be planning to but a new workstation maybe of a tenth or 11th gen processor, so it means I can just go with the z book with intel core i7 6700hq with quadro m3000m and ignore the other one with intel core i7 6820hq with quadro m1000m even though the 6820hq seems to be more faster than the 6700hq, so I'll be banking my hopes on the power of the m3000m which is better than the m1000m, I'll be using the laptop for CAD, and lots of renderings,

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I appreciate a lot the response, in my case I don't have plan to upgrade the graphics for now, I just want to the workstation as it is then later on I will be planning to but a new workstation maybe of a tenth or 11th gen processor, so it means I can just go with the z book with intel core i7 6700hq with quadro m3000m and ignore the other one with intel core i7 6820hq with quadro m1000m even though the 6820hq seems to be more faster than the 6700hq, so I'll be banking my hopes on the power of the m3000m which is better than the m1000m, I'll be using the laptop for CAD, and lots of renderings,

Yeah get the M3000M model, it's better. For a similar price you can also buy an older ZBook 17 G2 with a P3000 that will outlast both your preferred models

May 22, 2022
Great, thanks a lot for your helpful advice, I now have courage going forward, one more thing before I forget, is it by default that I will find the processor running at turbo speed , some times earlier I bumped into a shop and tried testing one of the z book 17 g3 and saw the clock speed stuck at 2.59Ghz, it wasn't running at past that speed despite being listed as having turbo upto 3.5Ghz, I even tried changing power plan to high performance and the laptop was also plugged in and still it didnt change, a dell m7710 that was present next to it was running at turbo speed, could it be that the turbo for the z book has to be enabled in the bios or how??

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Great, thanks a lot for your helpful advice, I now have courage going forward, one more thing before I forget, is it by default that I will find the processor running at turbo speed , some times earlier I bumped into a shop and tried testing one of the z book 17 g3 and saw the clock speed stuck at 2.59Ghz, it wasn't running at past that speed despite being listed as having turbo upto 3.5Ghz, I even tried changing power plan to high performance and the laptop was also plugged in and still it didnt change, a dell m7710 that was present next to it was running at turbo speed, could it be that the turbo for the z book has to be enabled in the bios or how??

It is usually a BIOS setting. If you encounter the issue, simply post back here as long as it's within 90 days, and if not you can make a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.