HP ze2000 - return to factory state

GrouchoBarx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
I have an *old* HP ze2000 which has been sitting around unused for several years. This little beast is painfully slow, and I want to do a clean install of WinXP to see if it speeds up. I may give it to my son for a "play" computer or donate it to a non-profit if I can improve the performance.

It has a 60GB HDD, and I am not certain on the RAM ( I am waiting for the system to respond so I can check the RAM). It has WinXP SP2 (SP3?) installed, same issues waiting for the system specs.

I do NOT have any system recovery discs. I DO have a WinXP SP2 OS CD which "Contains software and drivers already installed for software reinstallation and system repair" which were included with the laptop when purchased. I also have an Application and Driver Recovery DVD which was included in the purchase.

My wife used this laptop for several years until it became obvious that it wasn't up to her needs. It has lived in its case for about 3+years, unused.

Specific questions:

1. Does the WinXP CD already "know" the Product Key? If not, how can I obtain the correct key from the laptop before beginning this process.

2. Any thoughts on whether it is reasonable to think that this laptop is worth the effort (as a "play" PC or for donation)?

If anyone has any other thoughts on this project, please let me know.

THanks

GrouchoBarx

GrouchoBarx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Thanks!