scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hi,
I am having problems with this hp laptop. I can't get much help from hp online chat. They can't even find the correct service manual for this model. It freezes at the hp logo screen, can't access bios, can't boot to safe mode, can't do any of the supposed diagnostics built in to this laptop. I wanted to remove the harddrive and they assured me the manual for the ze5200 was the correct one, but the harddrive will not come out the way it describes. I do not want to use the manual for the ze5200 anymore. As far as I know this is a 2.8 ghz celeron with 256 mb of pc333 ram. It's part number that I needed to use to get proper specs from hp is DZ361U#ABA. It is a ze5700us and the serial number is CNF41810F7. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks, Steve

ZappCatt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
#1) That machine is a POS...yes I am currently typing from one right now.

#2) The HD is actually very easy to remove. 3 screws on the front/bottom of the machine in the center. 2 are visible, and the third is hidden under the rubber stopper along the front bezel. Take out the 3 screws, and slightly wiggle the bezel, then pull out.

I hope this helps. I can try to look for the manual if you still need info from it.

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Ok, glad to hear from someone. The hidden screw did the trick on the hard drive. Thanks. It was not mentioned in the ze5200 manual. Am I wrong in thinking that these HP's are excessively difficult to repair with all the reprogramming involved in replacing hardware? Have you read the repair manual? This is the first HP I have seen or worked on. I am used to working on IBM. No problem at all to get them apart and replace parts. No reprogramming involved, either. I have the feeling that the previous owner left this laptop on a bed or couch and it overheated and damaged the CPU and or motherboard.

ZappCatt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Nope, I have not read the repair manual. Just a nerd who likes to rip his machines apart.

I actually did not read the manual to get the hard drive out..just needed it removed so looked for any hidden screws. I did not bother to replace the rubber stopper after taking it out.

Sorry I could not be more help.

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Well, It doesn't look as though this subject has generated much interest, but I'm going ahead and finish up what I started. I read the manual and tore apart the machine. When I removed the 4 screws that hold the processor heat sink in place it did not come off right away. So I pried against it carefully and it came out, along with the processor! The transfer compound must have gotten so hot it acted like glue. I had to use a really strong solvent to clean the processor and heatsink. Tomorrow I am going to take apart a desktop that has a p4 2.2 ghz processor and put this 2.8 ghz celeron in there. See if it works or if I have to get a new motherboard!! It is a desktop processor not a mobile one.???

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I put the 2.8 ghz celeron on a board in a working system and it booted right up!! I downloaded a cpu stress test program and let it run all night last night with no errors reported. I think that rules out the processor. Has anyone ever had luck with just cleaning off the old heat transfer compound and using new higher quality compound?? I am going to try it. If that doesn't work, there are a few motherboards available on ebay.

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
The Cpu worked fine in the desktop, but I re-installed in the laptop and still freezez at the hp logo screen. So, I'll get a new motherboard. No one is interested in this, this will be the last post

tomhay

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Hi,

I also am STUCK with some HP 5700 hardware.
Can you give me the link to get the service manual you have, or send me a copy. My email is keisys@email.com

willie85

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I am also having start up issues im assuming its the hard to so im going to replace it any other things that could be affecting please send me tips on what it could be thanks

G

I have the same model computer and it will not start, but I can start it from a CD with DSL (Damn Small Linux) with the hard drive removed. This indicates to me that the hard drive is the problem. Have you rectified your problem?
I think a new hard drive is the answer, but don't want to buy one if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Jim

paysonboy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I recently bought one of these computers that had this same problem, The very first thing I tried was a complete power drain. Basically what this does is it causes the system to loose all power including bios battery for a moment and resets everything to factory. This might solve your problem.

here are the steps
1. Disconnect power cord
2. Remove battery
3. Hold down power button for 30 seconds to 1 min
4. Put batter back in
5. Plug back in
6. Turn on.

If you follow these steps exactly it will reset all bios settings and hardware to factory configuration. If this works you just saved yourself alot of trouble and time and money.