hpcompaq hdd pblm

vishnulevin

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Hi all,
My laptop doesnt boot up since this morning. it says hard disk doesnt exist. it was working fine till last night..there was no errors like blue screens..it got shut down properly only...idk if its really dead...its pretty old HDD..like 4 years old...i tried the re-seating but it didnt work...i removed it and plugged in to my pc using the external HD case and it worked...but when i refit it to my laptop it doesnt work and shows the same error. " Hard Disk doesnt exist ". i ran all the hard disk tests , still it says the same error...is it motherboard fault or any other hardware issue ?..since my Hard disk works when plugged in externally... need help in resolving this issue please.

Solution
Hey there again, vishnulevin!

Unfortunately, you should have tested that drive especially because it's an old one, before trusting any of your data with it. I'd advise you to perform some troubleshooting on it as well and make sure it's not failing, too. Use the HDD diagnostic utility that is brand-specific for the HDD or one of the third-party alternatives from the link in my previous post. Once you determine the health and SMART status, you should be able to see if it's the source of your issues again. Share some links with screenshots from the health tests and the SMART attributes of the HDD.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted with the results. :)
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, vishnulevin!

This seems pretty unfortunate! :( When you managed to get it powered up through the HDD enclosure on your PC, how did the drive appear in Windows Explorer and Disk Management? I'd still suggest you run the hard drive manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool (or a third-party alternative) and check up on the health and SMART status of the drive (while it's in the HDD case on your PC).

As for your laptop, I'd suggest you reset BIOS from the BIOS settings and attempt to boot from your hard drive again. If you have a spare 2.5" HDD, I'd suggest you connect it to the laptop and see if the error will persist.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

vishnulevin

Commendable
May 26, 2016

vishnulevin

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Thxs for the instant reply Soph...i tried the hard disk test for my hard drive and found out my hard disk is dead..well i wasnt ready to accept it that early but i cant deny it now :(...but i got a new pblm now...i replaced my dead hard disk with another hard disk ( which is 2years+ old ) and installed new windows 7 OS on it and all related softwares..it was running fine for a week..i was watching OP anime and my screen suddenly froze..it didnt respond even after 10mins..so i restarted it using power button, after that my laptop wont boot...when i press the power button it runs for few secs and stops..no display..just black screen..T.T..

at first i tot my ram ( 1GB )memory overflown and so i removed it and inserted it again but it didnt work..next i tot it was a HD seating pblm so i tried reseating it but that also didnt work..finally i tot of resetting CMOS and did that too...unplugged CMOS battery and left it out for 5mins and plugged it in again and that also didnt work...also did the hard reset for atleast 10 times which also didnt solve the pblm...idk what else to do to boot it up...any suggestions would be helpful..thxs in advance :))

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there again, vishnulevin!

Unfortunately, you should have tested that drive especially because it's an old one, before trusting any of your data with it. I'd advise you to perform some troubleshooting on it as well and make sure it's not failing, too. Use the HDD diagnostic utility that is brand-specific for the HDD or one of the third-party alternatives from the link in my previous post. Once you determine the health and SMART status, you should be able to see if it's the source of your issues again. Share some links with screenshots from the health tests and the SMART attributes of the HDD.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted with the results. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution