HTC Eternity: 1.5GHz CPU, 4.7-inch SLCD Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Phones are now becoming 'portable media devices' so imo at least the larger screen size is a good thing. Lower res, not so.

G

Ive been looking for a decent sized smart phone, i love my galaxyS but if it was slightly larger it would be better. Galaxy S2 looks like an option but so does this. Probably prefer android operating system at the moment though.

My ideal would be a galaxy S2 'xl' with a 5 inch screen, decent resolution for watching films and make it slightly thicker to allow better thermal shielding.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I like mine small, I can't handle anything larger than 3.7 inches, they're just too big for me.

My phone on the other hand...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I remember a time when phones got smaller with every generation.4.7inch is just too big for a phone.[/citation]

I respect that some people don't want larger phones, i get it, some people aren't big people. but me I'm not a small guy, I love my palm pre, it runs great and i have gotten used to the size but after holding palms and tablets i can honestly say I would love to have a 5-6 inch screen on a phone. I know it would be to small for some, but 6'+ crowd ... it would make us happy (well me at least) i would say over 6 inches on a screen would make it even to big for me though that'd be odd on a belt clip or in a pocket

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I used to use an HTC EvO because my company sponsored it. Then my new company issued me an iPhone 4. Although I like iOS less than my Android, the smaller screen is truly better than the 4.3 behemoth on the EvO.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Unless you have a purse to store it in, phones this size are just too big. They are not comfortable to keep in your pocket, if you can even get it to fit in the first place.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Where do people cary their smartphones? If I can't put my phone in my pants pocket and sit down, then it's too big. Then again I don't need a phone for anything other than calls so I'm probably not the target market.

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
Considering they are going from within the Windows Phone 7 hardware specs, the only real mistake they made was the 16gb microSD card. Bump that to 32GB and we have a deal.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I think the point of "big phones" is so you can have a desktop like browsing experience in a near phone size package. Some people will want a slightly larger phone so they don't need to carry a phone AND a tablet around. If the phone is big and the browser is useless, then that's a bigger problem.
my 2 cents

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I carry a droid x(4.3 inch screen) in my pocket every day. I think 4.7 phone would still fit in my pocket. When I get my next phone it will be 4.3 - 5 inches in screen size.
I know that some people think that this is too big for a "phone". But are these devices really just phones? Smartphone are really combinations of many devices (phone, computer, camera, gps,mp3 player, radio, etc). I think it would be more fair to consider them as pocket computers. Anyway its nice to have a choice of screen size.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
some people are trekkies and want the lapel pendant phone that's completely hands free and takes voice commands. others want the star trek datapad.
until thecell phones are completely hands free with voice only command, i'll take the datapad types so i can read and game on them. point is if it's sitting in my pocket i don't need it andd would be better left in my truck. i miss the brick phone because you didn't need to have bird claws or a paper clip to dial or use the phone. some of us can actually palm a basketball and are not microdwarves.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I remember a time when phones got smaller with every generation.4.7inch is just too big for a phone.[/citation]
I like to hold my tablet like a phone and pretend I'm talking on it. Get some crazy looks...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I agree with the flaming blue panda. The biggest problem with phone7 isn't the OS, it is the crap they put it on. Perhaps there is a limitation of what the OS will support in its infancy, but it seems odd to me. That being said I have been looking for a smartphone, and phone7 runs a lot faster on a lot crappier phones than many of the androids I have seen out there. Some androids are amazing... and some are amazingly crappy. They can have the same core OS, but the interfaces some of these phone companies come up with is just wack.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Low resolution, large screen = fail
16 GB max storage = fail
SRS Surround = Not real surround = pointless = fail
"This limitation stems from Windows Phone 7's lack of support for qHD screens." = Extra fail

FM Radio = F.... wait, actually that's a win. weird.

I think the windows phone 7 platform can be great if Microsoft would stop botching everything they almost get right. However, most of these oversights are probably HTC's fault since they designed the hardware. So, tisk tisk HTC... why the sub-par design?

Status
Not open for further replies.