HTC One Got Washed! What should i do?

Xavier Moavero

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
about 7 months ago I got an HTC One in a 2 year contract with Verizon wireless. The phone is great! I was washing my sheets and blanket, and somehow my phone got in it. It was in there the whole time. It had an Otterbox commuter, so the headphone jack and USB port should have been covered. When i found it in there, I immediately took out he SIM card, got a wet/dry vacuum and put it to all of the openings, then put the whole phone (without SIM card) in a bowl of rice. Will my phone be okay? it didn't turn on when i got it out. I cant get to the battery because of the aluminum unibody. I don't have a warranty with Verizon. It was the HTC One, not the One X or the M8!

Nightman

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
It sounds like you did everything right, especially by not trying to turn it on. Once it's been in the rice for a day or two, just try to turn it on and hope it works. That's really all you can do at this point.

Xavier Moavero

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

do you know if it has any good chance of working again?

chaan126

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014
It might work, depends on the electrical damage the battery may have had in short circuit mode, my pals do this all the time and I just drop them into a bag (not plastic) with rice in a very dry airflow environment and let them dry out nice and slow.

80% chance it works again and its usually the display that goes if its cooked. Had some iPhone 5's that worked again after cheapie screen replacement but they do behave rather peculiarly once drowned (it has to be said).

We have seen the Samsung 5S deals with this aspect rather well compared to other smartphones by the way.

Xavier Moavero

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I left it int he rice for ovr 48 hours, put the SIM card back in, plugged the phone in, and nothing. it has only been a few minutes, no lights, nothing hapopens when i hit the power button or hold it down, anyone think it just needs to charge?