HTC Says Users Prefer Slim Phones Over Large Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyree

Distinguished
No, I don't. I found phone now days too thin to have a firm grip, so I get a big fat Trident case for it.

If they make the phone fat again with more battery, it is good news for me. I will still buy a case (I am used to the rubber grip), but a slimmer one, sacrificing some protection.

I have no problem as long as the phone is under 20 mm.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hopefully they pick nicer LCD displays, because the HTC Amaze's display looks terrible. It's dark, the refresh is gross, when you scroll the text flickers.. it's just pathetic compared to my AMOLED on the Galaxy S2

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
That's what happens when that specific market is populated by moron who the only thing that matters is the look.
If they would actually try it: A big phone with a massive screen, better gps antenna cause the ones in cellphones sucks, and mabey other cool stuff, then I would buy it in a hearthbeat and I'm sure others would be interested too.

G

I will take battery life over thickness any day. I have an S2, and I would like a Galaxy S2 MAX kind of phone, like Motorola did for the Razor.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Maybe the article's mentioned "consumers" want a thin phone they can break easily and give them reason to buy another throw-away phone.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Too bad most consumers don't really know what's best. Skinny to an extent is nice, but when it sacrifices battery? NOOOOO.

HTC (and all other companies really) need to follow what Moto did with the RAZR MAXX, moderate thickness with a massive battery. The MAXX is 9mm thick with a 3300mAh battery, that's perfect if you ask me. If Moto can do that, there is nothing stopping HTC from making a ~9mm One S with a 2500mAh battery and a 10mm One X with a 2500mAh battery.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
or not yet maybe...
I was pretty excited about this when I 1st heard about this new display tech

but just read this review :

kyobo mirasol ereader - the screen

now maybe this particular screen being aimed at e-readers was not up to the same specs as their (possible) higher end screens we saw demo'd in their homepage video

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
yeah, apparently they are going to bring out better tech displays later this year or early 2013 targeting tablet PC's etc

int preparation they have purchased another display tech company bringing inovations to improve their own tech

another link to the latest ereader using their current tech : Koobe Jin Yong eReader

jeilimis

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
The MAXX is 9mm thick with a 3300mAh battery, that's perfect if you ask me.
g.gif

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The fat ones never get any love. How long does your battery last?
I have their HTC Thunderbolt, and mine lasts 2 days on light use, and over a day on heavier use (using Navigation for an hour+).

That said, I rooted my phone and did a lot of research to find ways to extend my battery life. The first time I used the phone, the battery died in 4 hours of use and I barely used it. I took it back, talked to the sales rep for a while as he did a few updates. The phone then lasted about 8 hours. After a couple days, I had it up to 1 day due to a few different utilities. After rooting it and the use of watch dog and juiceDefender, the battery lasted a full day. After turning 4Glte off, the batter life doubled. I now only use 4Glte when I'm about to download something large.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
After reading my own testimony, it's clear that the default software could definitely use some refining. A few utilities and removal of crapware can extend battery life multiple times over.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why not simply sell a phone e.g. galaxy s2

then sell a bigger battery with a bigger cover that slots on over the back

that means people who want a thin phone can have that and people that want a bigger battery can have this as well

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I don't mind thick phones but I do hate phones that have screens that easily crack or far too dark to see. Thicker batteries are better in the long run as it will mean fewer charge cycles for the same amount of use ie lasting longer. The very thin phones end up with more cycles and gradually weaken over time to where they don't hold as good as a charge as they had done before. People need to stop being little cry babies about phones being too thick, really what next phones with the thickness of rice paper.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I'm tired of reading AAA reviews of (highly priced) smartphones with weak reception and volume so low you can barely hear it ring in a crowd - let alone talk through it.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
why not just give people more options by making the phone more modular by allowing the back cover to be replaced when you add an extended battery.

Remember the days when you could give your windows mobile PPC or smartphone, a 3000-3500mAh battery and get like 8 hours of usage out of it non stop?

with modern phones, if they allowed you to add a half inch of bulk and slap on a 3500-3700 mAh battery which are the upper end of extended batteries and get like 3 times the battery life.

G

I simply don't get why manufacturers don't build thin phones with larger/bulkier replacement options for batteries and battery covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.