HTC Unveils the Flyer. It Can Play Crysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Sweetness, the idea of parallel gaming (cloud-gaming), using a mobile device to control a desktop to play a game has come to actuality!!

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
If they can account for the latency issues for cloud gaming on a portable device, then this will be the best thing since the George Forman grill.

G

HTC sure has come a long way from their bug-ridden Touch Diamond's - I am quite impressed. One one hand - Superb design. Great processor. Promising battery life (hopefully around the 10 hr mark). On the other hand - Honeycomb would have made more sense given that it is a tablet, and to really knock the ball out of the park HTC would have needed nvidia tegra graphics. OnLive is a nice touch, but more gimmicky than practical - unless you're tethered to an ethernet port you're not going to get the bandwidth to really make use of it.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
It's just not the same as having the power to completely render it yourself. This is more related to desktop gaming PCs, but it's just so much better having all that rendering power humming beside you while you play than having someone else do the work for you and then stream it to your computer.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
But can it play Cry-

Oh wait... =P

But seriously? You probably wouldn't even manage 5 FPS on that thing, if you actually DID decide to play Crysis on it? Kinda pointless to have OnLive on this sort of device anyways, with the slower speeds of the network...

G

can you honest call it "playing" with the amount of lag on OnLive

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
& if OnLive sells OnLive@HomeArcade, you can buy/rent games to run on you gaming rig & play it on your tablet at home, even if your Internet isn't that good. ;-)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Saying IT can play crysis - No! You can let a real computer/server render it and the stream it with the price of alot of added latency - yes! So the "it can play crysis" is nothing more than the phoone is displaying a video stream and allow it to send controls to the onlive servers. But i guess onlive has its uses when the power of the device it works with is poor.

How about a review of gfx quality/latency of the onlive service, it would be interesting for alot of peeps =)

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]If they can account for the latency issues for cloud gaming on a portable device, then this will be the best thing since the George Forman grill.[/citation]

Have you even used On-live yet? Because I have no issues and it's great. Maybe upgrade your connection or set bandwidth settings for certain ports on you router. Onlive is the future, It's crazy fast and easy to use. No more stupid long loading screens and discs to lose and scratch!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]Have you even used On-live yet? Because I have no issues and it's great. Maybe upgrade your connection or set bandwidth settings for certain ports on you router. Onlive is the future, It's crazy fast and easy to use. No more stupid long loading screens and discs to lose and scratch![/citation]

Got a 100/100 mbit connection, still runs poorly compared to anything running on my computers locally. Likely you play chess or other turn based games and are satisfied! *Many* people aren't satisfied because of the latency's involved that are unavoidable.

First you stream video.
That have to be rendered on server, compressed on server with lost quality AND adds latency and finally it have to be sent and decompressed on your side (more latency) thats just the video stream alone!

Controls in multi player games.
You send the ingame commands like movement ect to the onlive servers who then sends it to the game server that processes it sends the new userstate back to the onlive servers wich processes it and renders the next frame (se video above). Whats most amusig is that the onlive servers games report the latency from the onlive to the game server not the actual latency for the user (game-onlive-server-onlive-extra compressions-decompression latency-gamer).

So you say that a computer to server and back is not faster than the above? Sorry I have to say this but some loud people seriously need education before speaking up about matters they don't fully grasp!

Sure onlive could be a possible future and has its uses even today when you run on a poor mans gaming computer but don't for a second try to convince the less educated people that its the best option today because its simply just a marketing statement based on the above - weak computer with a high bandwidth connection and most peeps that can afford the better connections sure as hell can afford a good computer voiding the main targets for the onlive.

I think download content is the future like steam! Even publishers have even spoke up against onlive and they use to be cautious. Main reason - it don't allow them to let their players experience their games as they want and that should tell just about any uneducated where their trust lies!

Status
Not open for further replies.