HTML5 To Be Finalized In 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I can't wait. I'm sick and tired of flash. My monitor won't turn off automatically if I watch anything on hulu or use flash player in any way. That's even after I have closed all programs and return to desktop. The only way to fix it is to restart my computer and not use flash player. Flash player may be free, but it has cost me a lot of money in energy bills.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I've never experienced that issue, knightmike. In fact generally speaking Flash has been pretty decent for me. Certainly it has brought a lot of fun games, decent streaming video (in browser), various interactive content, and near-universal device support (as long as the manufacturer allows it, *cough*Apple*cough*).

Don't get me wrong, Flash has its issues. But they've been doing some amazing things, and the latest hardware acclerated versions seems to really take a lot of the load off the CPU for video playback.

G

So by the time HTML5 is actually finished the computational power of cell phones will be better then the desktops first used to create HTML5.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Consider yourself lucky, alextheblue. My issue is shared by many others as seen in the adobe flash bug forums with no known fix. Adobe ignored the problem for a long time. Then they released a new version of flash. The release notes acknowledged the problem and said this new version of flash should fix it. They then proceeded to mark all of the threads regarding this bug as solved and closed. Not one has ever been re-opened. It has been over a year now. Any new threads that report the problem are merged with the solved and closed thread.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks for the massive indecision of retards clapping together till they are happy with the BPM..sigh. Don't forget the fancy html5 symbol...yikes, should have been a ? along side a 5. My advice on html 5 is..things that work better.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I prefer using HTML5 powered pages over Flash powered pages just because Flash pages are typically very power hungry compared to similar HTML5 pages. But honestly it isn't THAT big of a deal to me.

I also don't have an smart phone, but if I did I would probably disable Flash on it, just to get some extra battery life. On most of the websites I visit, Flash is only active in advertisements anyway. So I guess you could say I agree with Apple on that (although I do think the option should be there for people who do want to run Flash).

I will say that since switching my YouTube account over to HTML5 trail that Google Chrome has crashed significantly less than it used to....

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Wireless-N wasn't a standard until late 2009, but was already widespread.

HTML5 will be pretty prevalent before then.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
So for us web developers, we'll still have to support IE6 for about 30 more years. LOL I hate how slow web standards get made and who makes them. There are some serious omissions and spotty support by browsers to just about anything cool. HTML5 is great and it sucks having to make stuff work on older browsers (I'm looking at you Internet Explorer). lol

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
All of this trash-talking about flash is horrible, look IMO it's a great application that EVERYBODY needs, flash will be around for a long time and winging about it won't make it go away, look at Apple.

I like flash, it makes the internet better in a good way, HTML5 is slower then flash in some regards especially youtube's HTML5 player which eats up CPU cycles.

Of course that's probably because of their implementation..

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]All of this trash-talking about flash is horrible, look IMO it's a great application that EVERYBODY needs, flash will be around for a long time and winging about it won't make it go away, look at Apple.I like flash, it makes the internet better in a good way, HTML5 is slower then flash in some regards especially youtube's HTML5 player which eats up CPU cycles.Of course that's probably because of their implementation..[/citation]

Yeah, but even adobe is abandoning it for html5, and are in the business of making tools for html5 development. So while it will be around for a while, its days are numbered. Even Adobe wants to kill it, they are just not coming out and saying so.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Flash is great for certain things, horrible for other things. Flash works great on Windows machines (considering what you do withit), a lot of casual games are made in Flash and as far as security threats are concerned, Javascript is far worse on every metric.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Wow, 2014 is way too generous. I already am sick of hearing about it now. What the hell is the big deal about this anyway? Just flash being killed off? So what...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I thought it was already finalized, with all of the talk it gets now and that the upcoming browsers this year will feature HTML5.[/citation]

Must be open source.

Status
Not open for further replies.