MAC20

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
So heres the setup.

HTPC
1 MSI GTX 660 OC 2GB Card
1 Intel Haswell i5-4760K CPU
8GB G.Skill RAM

Heres what i want to do. I currently have my HTPC connected to a 50 inch tv in my man cave. The audio is ran via HDMI from the GTX660. RealTek audio driver from the HTPC is disabled. I want to connect a 32 inch TV from my bedroom to the HTPC via display port. But my concern is the audio.

How will the audio be separated if i was gaming on the 50 inch and someone was watching TV on the 32 inch. Is this possible? Will the audio overlap?

Solution
Your desired setup is possible, although it will likely be a PITA. You can setup WMC to output audio to different devices. The problem is you're going to need to change audio settings every-time you move rooms. Another problem is you're never going to be able to see both screens at the same time. Imagine trying to use a PC with 2 15" monitors 15 feet apart, you're not really going to know what you're doing on the other screen.

I think you'd be phenomenally better served by just adding a WMC extender (echo/360), or another HTPC to the bedroom TV. As you're probably aware, any pc with simply windows media player can play recordings. A capable HTPC for just content playback can be built super inexpensively these days.

InvalidError

Distinguished
My guess is the other TV would show up as an extra audio output device and you would need to configure whatever program you want to use to display whatever it is you want on that display to use to specifically use that audio output if you do not want it to use the default output, just like you would if you enabled the Realtek or had other sound outputs like USB headset/speakers, external CODEC of some sort, etc.

MAC20

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for the insight. ill try this and see what happens. basically i use a HDHomerun to stream my TV thru my HTPC to my tablets and my TV in the man cave (since its hooked to my HTPC) and record shows. My own personal DVR. and i was looking to run a display port cable with HDMI convertor to my TV in my bedroom so i can also watch TV off my HTPC in there as well. Ill set it up as dual monitor but i was concerned about the audio. but ill try what you suggested and see if it works.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Your desired setup is possible, although it will likely be a PITA. You can setup WMC to output audio to different devices. The problem is you're going to need to change audio settings every-time you move rooms. Another problem is you're never going to be able to see both screens at the same time. Imagine trying to use a PC with 2 15" monitors 15 feet apart, you're not really going to know what you're doing on the other screen.

I think you'd be phenomenally better served by just adding a WMC extender (echo/360), or another HTPC to the bedroom TV. As you're probably aware, any pc with simply windows media player can play recordings. A capable HTPC for just content playback can be built super inexpensively these days.

Solution

MAC20

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

good solutions, ill look into the echo