Hulu Blocking Videos From Kylo Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I'm giving up on deciding how I want to watch my TV shows. I want them to tell me how I'm going to watch them. Apparently it's the only way to go about doing this without angering some corporate d-bag.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
forgive me if I'm naive, and maybe that's what Tindytim is talking about, but can't they just spoof a firefox or IE id? Seems like the easiest. If Hulu is going to play dirty so should they.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]I'm giving up on deciding how I want to watch my TV shows. I want them to tell me how I'm going to watch them. Apparently it's the only way to go about doing this without angering some corporate d-bag.[/citation]
Yeah, I mean it's not like most modern televisions have some sort of digital media port on them that is electrically compatible with virtually every modern desktop GPU on the market.

Oh wai-

G

I was wanting to buy a 32 inch led tv to use as a monitor. I guess the studio thinks im stealing from them if I dont buy a 30inch computer monitor instead.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I just pirate the shows I want to watch. It takes ages for new seasons to reach where I live and Hulu is blocking hotspot shield.
So screw them! I can support the shows I like by buying DVD sets, I don't have to tolerate the bullshit that the TV stations and Hulu try to pull on me.

G

Sheesh!
What's next, is Hulu going to block FireFox, Chrome and Internet Explorer too?

I run a Multi-Monitor setup and I use my TV as one of my monitors.

No way am I going to pay for cable or satellite.

fuermich99

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I was just writing a website with some javascript, and was dealing with the different browser stuff. Basically, there are a bunch of rules to tell which browser is being used. I am sure that it can be done, hiding the browser name and all. Maybe a prompt to ask for the details so that you can change it every time you open the browser? Until they force a browser to identify its self by one of the major brand names, you could put random stuff in there to fool it.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
If I understood the article correctly Kylo is a new web browser that does not display a lot of typical browser items on a tv screen so users can watch a video in what is a something like full screen mode. Hulu and/or content does not like that. Did I at least get that part right? I read the article three times and it confused the heck out of me.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
If their problem is really people watching it on TV's why do they think this is doing anything?

I use it on my HTPC with firefox, and it works just fine. I'm just able to easily see how small the writing is, it doesn't bother me at all.

G

duh people just press F11 on your keyboard in firefox or internet explorer.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]How long until some coder creates a User Agent Switcher?[/citation]

Opera used to have that feature - you could set it to report itself as any browser that was available.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
While all the politicians think about how to protect the Internet, how about a law against blocking content to one device or another? It should be ILLEGAL to block content to the browser of one company and not to another one... this is outrageous.

Still one can make the font bigger and use any browser they want on their TV

G

Circumvention of blocking based on browser user-agent couldn't be easier. There are already tons of solutions, ranging from firefox extensions to softwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.