HUM sound in headphones

magni_4570

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Hello to all,
I recently have an audio issue with my headphones. I already found that it only happens when the kitchen lights in my house get turned on. When the kitchen lights are turned off, the hum goes away. I have my computer setup in the dining room which is next to the kitchen. I have recently purchased the Hifiman Editiion X headphones and the Little Dot MKII tube headphone amp. All my components are connected to my APC UPS the XS 1500 model. I have a MODI 2 Uber USB DAC that receives the audio signal from my PC through an Audio Quest "Forest" USB 2.0 cable from one of my USB DAC up ports from the Gigabyte Gaming 6 MOBO that I use. My intentions are to fix this HUM sound while the Kitchen lights are on, as I am not the only one that lives in this house. Any help would e appreciated, thanks.

sizzling

Distinguished
I guess they are tube lighting in the kitchen? These are known for giving off interference especially for audio equipment. If correct I don't think there is anything you can do, any wire or PCB could be picking up the interference.

magni_4570

Commendable
May 6, 2016

I have LED bulbs in the kitchen for lighting. They are the LED bulbs that look like incandescent. I have read about Ground Loop Isolators or power/ line conditioners that I could plug my UPS into, but I obviously don't know for certain which way to go.

sizzling

Distinguished

Hmm not sure then. Not come across this with LED's before. With the tube lighting the interference is not through the mains supply but radio wave interference picked up by cables or PCB tracks. I can only think the LED's have a dirty power supply giving off interference but its a guess.

magni_4570

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Thanks for your responses, sizzling.
I just used my brothers line conditioner and hooked up my UPS, with everything plugged into my UPS, into the line conditioner and the hum is still there. I even plugged my Little Dot MKII tube headphone amp into the line conditioner and straight into the wall outlet and the HUM is still there. I also was messing around with the Kitchen lights and they are on a slide dimmer switch. I dimmed the lights and the HUM disappears, lol. So if I turn the kitchen lights off or dim them, then the hum goes away.

sizzling

Distinguished

Yeah my guess is some kind of dirty voltage regulation for the LED's spewing out RF. Can you try the headphones on another device near the kitchen? It would work out if they are picking up the interference or if its something in the pc. If its the pc a soundcard with better shielding 'might' help.

magni_4570

Commendable
May 6, 2016

Hey sizzling....I really don't have another device to hook up to an ac outlet in the kitchen. I tried to hook up my headphone amp to my Fiio X1 DAP to the Little Dot MKII tube headphone amp, but I need the 3.5mm to RCA adapter (which I just ordered from Amazon). So I might be at a stand still for now. But since you brought up the "Sound Card" idea...which soundcard do you recommend for my PC?