Hurray! Farmville May Break Away from Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
LOL I dabbled in Farmville for a bit. Ultimately I realized it was a pointless, and useless waste of time. And quite frankly it's not even fun. It's just something to do while you wait for a game update to download.

Now it just annoys me when I log into Facebook.

G

Oh noes! What will the all the idiot breeders I went to high school with do in between forwarding the latest teabagger rumor and thanking Baby Jeebus for the blessings of WalMart?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ohnoesnotfarmville[/nom]Oh noes! What will the all the idiot breeders I went to high school with do in between forwarding the latest teabagger rumor and thanking Baby Jeebus for the blessings of WalMart?[/citation]

You are from Texas right?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Funny, I just click the hide button on all Farmville posts and enjoy my Facebook session - really not that hard.

But it Farmville is making money then fair shout to them for wanting to outgrow Facebook and move on, good luck!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]Funny, I just click the hide button on all Farmville posts and enjoy my Facebook session - really not that hard.But it Farmville is making money then fair shout to them for wanting to outgrow Facebook and move on, good luck![/citation]

Clicking 'Hide' doesn't stop the invitations to play. You can block those too but it's more difficult and a lot of people probably don't know how.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Clicking 'Hide' doesn't stop the invitations to play. You can block those too but it's more difficult and a lot of people probably don't know how.[/citation]
The easiest way to avoid annoying Farmville messages is to just not use Facebook. Seriously, give your friends your email address and move on.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I don't "play" Farmville, but I have to wonder if it will see the same kind of success when (if) people need to log in to a separate website to be a part of it. I imagine that part of the allure is integration - while you do whatever else you do on facebook, you can do the Farmville thing, easily send messages to your friends/post to your wall about how you need them to water your goats, baconify your pigs, etc., and send obnoxious notices every time a new blade of grass starts growing.

Will the hype sustain if people have to navigate elsewhere for their fix? Obviously achievements and updates are present in a lot of games, but I'm curious to see if dislodging it from Facebook will cause a meaningful drop in the number of users.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]I don't care what happens to Farmville as long as it occupies my girlfriend still.[/citation]
You'll care when you marry her and she starts spending your money on Farmville.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Clicking 'Hide' doesn't stop the invitations to play. You can block those too but it's more difficult and a lot of people probably don't know how.[/citation]

Point taken, although I usually just shout at people who invite me too often. Hmmm maybe I should start smoking again - I'm really not very nice at the moment lol

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Maybe Zynga is wondering what kind of income they are giving up being a Facebook exclusive? Certainly, on the iPhone, Zynga's absence has left a door wide open for competitors to come in and start capitalizing on the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.