'Hurt Locker' Studio Now Suing Nearly 50K Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
To make matters worse, the judge presiding over the case – Judge Beryl Howell – was a former RIAA lobbyist.
At least now we know why the legal system is so corrupt... They came from the RIAA, the most sociopathic elitist cult in the nation.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Guess Comcast isn't completely evil, I agree with all the comments above. Hey the thumbs system works again, now if only Tom's would let me post comments without turning on compatability mode in IE9!

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Doesnt the judge have a bit of a bias in this case, then? Couldnt it be thrown out or pulled for a new judge just because of that fact?[/citation]

It sounds very likely IMO. Still, maybe that lobbyist was sexually harrassed or overlooked for promotions while working at RIAA until she finally quit and now she hates their guts. You never know... Lots of people hate their former employers.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
It's stories like this that make me glad I'm in the not-insane (yet) part of North America, where our police focus on real crimes like, say, selling downloaded movies/games/other counterfeit things as the real McCoy, or other things such as actual theft, with guns and such.

The thing is, is that this is just a cash grab.
They're just sad that their movie isn't worth watching and so they try to get money other ways even though they've already earned back their initial investment.

Also, it's the jury that has to make the decision. If I'm wrong about that, the defense in these cases could certainly try to claim a biased judge, and it wouldn't be hard to do so considering past activities.

And it's not like the workers here are getting the pay they deserve if this case turns out to be a gold mine from citizens- since the creative minds and talent in the movie won't see one red cent of this money.

While I do believe that you should pay for stuff you use, I don't believe that crooks such as the RIAA, MPAA, and the USCG should be allowed to abuse the justice system like this. I'm not alone in saying they deserve nothing, and I'm saying 10 bucks per person is more than enough for these people much less two thousand.

On a side note: if you're dumb enough not to use onion routing and encryption layers (i.e. Tor) in the 'States and decide to download movies you've got it coming to you.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
And, @aevm, it's obvious that she still has RIAA interests in mind since she refuses to accept reason: that an IP address is NOT a person!

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
The defendants should counter-sue in a civil suit if this goes through, because you know, you can sue for any reason in America.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
If they can't show it was redistributed, the cost should be that of the movie on a shelf.
If you didn't keep it, the cost at Redbox would seem appropriate.

Let's see the lawyers split that.

G

This is just stuped. Next they should sue anyone who thought or talked about the movie. Wouldn't that be exciting?
In my opinion laws about intellectual property should be applied only to those transactions that involve money and profits. In their digital (low quality) form everything should be shareable on the internet, starting from books and music to movies. On the other hand if you burn them to a CD, DVD or Blu-ray disc that should be considered counterfeiting and sanctioned severely. Printing out books and installing pirated software should continue to be illegal.
To sum it up, companies should pay for everything they use or sell (software, movies, music...etc), while home users should only pay for software, as long as they don't make real world copies of the downloaded copyrighted material (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, external hard drive, printed book ...etc.).

G

Jack Valenti, where is your dead body when we need it? The RIAA and MPAA need to change their name to the NAZI'S or PLO.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Movie sucked anyway...proof that quality scripting is going down. However, Americans living in the United States will have to pay for all illegal downloads while others around the world enjoy everything for free or cheap (the blu-ray of most movies sells for about $2 in Asian countries).

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Good luck to them, if they actually make *any* money from this fishing expedition I'd be surprised, and it would mean the system is truly tapped. Sounds to me like someone at the RIAA is trying to setup the perfect storm by getting this motley band together.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
As a business model its pretty good.

They could end up making more money suing pirates than they did from movie sales.
50,000 successful cases x $2,000 per case = $100 Million
According to IMDB Hurt Locker only grossed $12 Million at the box office.

G

so if i
get 50 people together
I ctrl+c the movie file
I get those 50 people to hit ctrl+v into 50 folders
now I have reproduced/ redistributed the movie 50 times
troll logic

Status
Not open for further replies.