Husband called scammers

hallci62

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
This happened to my husband. He'd never seen this before. He panicked thinking it was real and called the number. When I came into the situation whomever he called appeared to have taken control of our computer? They were trying to sell him a firewall program from $200 and up...I interrupted the call and informed my husband to end the call that he was being scammed. Then they ask to talk to me, I told the guy to ____ basically, and hung up. We shut everything down and rebooted. All seems okay...but I'm concerned...should I be? Thanks Cindy

Solution
Well if you are truly concerned the only sure way to is to nuke it and do a fresh Windows install. Note this means everything on the computer would be deleted.

Those call scams are usually pretty low tech they remote desktop and then install garbage on your computer. Sometimes the garbage is just to trick you into coughing up a credit card and not malicious on its own. Other times though it could be a straight up permanent hijack.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Well if you are truly concerned the only sure way to is to nuke it and do a fresh Windows install. Note this means everything on the computer would be deleted.

Those call scams are usually pretty low tech they remote desktop and then install garbage on your computer. Sometimes the garbage is just to trick you into coughing up a credit card and not malicious on its own. Other times though it could be a straight up permanent hijack.

Solution