I’m skipping the Nvidia Gefore RTX 40-series — here’s why

Sep 27, 2022
Forget the 30 series, for me personally it's not even worth upgrading from my Strix 2080Ti. I haven't seen any solid numbers yet but even with another leap in performance I think you'd have to be just wanting even higher frames in 4K to need the upgrade. Now I'm only playing in 1440p but with a 240Hz monitor and my 2080Ti can easily handle anything I throw at it. I'm not even upset about the price as a lot of people are. I paid almost $1,500 a few years ago for my 2080Ti. If you want anything other than those hideous stock cards you're going to be paying a decent amount. If these new cards do have the rumored performance then I think the price is a fair jump. I think the number of people that actually need the jump in performance is small. Apparently they're pushing the next gen DLSS and Ray Tracing improvements. I don't have the need for DLSS, Ray Tracing is nice but for me the number of games I've played that support it is so small. So overall I think the number of people crying about the price is much larger than the number of people who would actually buy the card for the improvements regardless of price.

Sep 26, 2022
Why are you trying to get it now? It's way overpriced. I'm waiting for 2023. The prices will drop unless we have world war 3

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Tbh I'm still rocking a 1080ti and I'm considering holding off yet another generation. Really wanted a 3080 but the heavens weep at the price. Guess we'll see what AMD and Intel have on offer but my bet is the 1080ti will soldier on

Sep 28, 2022
I knew I'd be skipping when I bought the 3090 almost 2 years ago. I did the same when I bought the 1080ti. I skipped the 2080ti.
The 4090 has very few real world uses over the 3090. High end gpu are now in the world of diminishing returns. Humans have limited perception and as such many of the insane laboratory figures we are being told about cannot be perceived by humans. For example, very high frame rates are totally invisible to the human eye. My 3090 actually is on about the fringes of human limits. The 4090 goes way beyond them.
Let's be totally honest and say that the vast majority of those upgrading will only be doing so for the bragging rights. Less that 4% game at 4k on pc. Hdr use is virtually non existent. Hdr 400 and 600 doesn't count. Its awful.
The 3080 is overkill for gaming at less than 4k. Yet many will upgrade just to keep up with the joneses and post inane photos of their new toy.
The 4090 doesn't actually do anything new apart from dlss 3. A cynic may say that nvidia even rigged the deck with that one.

Oct 3, 2022
Why is this an article? Why did some idiot get paid to write this? There have been editorials decrying new tech and generations of CPUs/GPUs for 20+ years, and the rationale is always, "I don't need this right now." Cool moron, we don't need to know that you don't need new tech you haven't bought. Just go back and look at all the responses to solid state storage 15 years ago, when the same morons would comment "Nah, I'll stick with my Raptor." I have a 3080 and a Samsung Odyssey and the card struggles with ray tracing at that resolution, so I'm the customer for an upgrade. I'm not writing an article "Why you NEED a 40 series GPU."