I’m struggling to get excited for the PS5 Pro — here’s why

Sep 5, 2024
The PS5 Pro needs a ‘must-have’ feature if Sony wants my money.

I’m struggling to get excited for the PS5 Pro — here’s why : Read more
I'm a PC elitist, and I'll tell you every time I go to my friend's house and he's playing on his PS5 I cringe at all the stuttery frame rate drops, in fast-paced games that would drive me crazy, this pro system will address that at least a little bit, there's your must have feature.

But regardless of frame rate, the must-have feature of the PS5 pro is going to be the best launch experience for GTA 6.

That is precisely the only reason for someone like myself to even buy one, which I will and then I will immediately sell it as soon as that game launches on PC.

Sep 5, 2024
You lost me “I own a 4090”. The console isn’t for you to get excited about in the first place.
If you would have read what I actually wrote you would understand how someone in my position is excited about a PS5 pro... at least temporarily.

But I will reiterate, the PS5 pro's biggest feature is that it will unfortunately for us PC players, be the ultimate way to play GTA VI on launch, a launch that will likely be the biggest thing in history for any form of media, beyond just video games. It will undoubtedly be an historic event, and if you want to experience it the best way possible, the PS5 Pro is the tool you will need.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2024
If you would have read what I actually wrote you would understand how someone in my position is excited about a PS5 pro... at least temporarily.

But I will reiterate, the PS5 pro's biggest feature is that it will unfortunately for us PC players, be the ultimate way to play GTA VI on launch, a launch that will likely be the biggest thing in history for any form of media, beyond just video games. It will undoubtedly be an historic event, and if you want to experience it the best way possible, the PS5 Pro is the tool you will need.
That’s not a feature you could wait but I understand being an owner of a 4090 means you can’t wait and don’t have to.

For console gamers the upgrade will be welcome because as you know they just can’t upgrade the GPU in their console.

For those people it’s a whole media tool not just one game.

gmk2311

Honorable
Sep 12, 2018
I feel you .
I'm still struggling to get excited about the OG PS5.
We received 4K support with ps4pro. Ps5 didn't do anything really spectacular. Whenever I use my friend's ps5, I detest the interface "upgrades". But the thing that's really lacking is 8K support .
My Samsung 8K 85" does a decent job of upscaling Ps4pro content. I would say Biomutant looked the best so far of the RPG genre games that I play, but it's obviously not an 8K source.
I don't play driving games so that's not a big sell for me.
The real disappointment in this PS5 era for me is Buldars Gate not being available for the ps4pro and Diablo 4 requiring persistent internet to play a single player campaign Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I'll buy them both eventually for PS6, once the Diablo 4 servers get shut down and they release an offline patch for it.
I am still half-heartedly looking forward to the PS6 which should provide more of an upgrade to satiate my desires for truly good 8K content. I assume it will be PS5 backward compatible, because the alternative would be ludicrous.
In some ways, it seems like console gaming is pushing gamers to go back to PC whether they know it or not. But it still stings a bit (ok, a lot) to invest $3000 for a decent gaming rig every 3 years to keep up with that segment (versus $500 every 5-6 yrs on console). I love my games, but I'm just not quite that dedicated of a gamer to go all in with that kind of investment.
I recognize that consoles are meant to be the poor man's gaming rig and I'm fine with that as long as I feel it's worth the Investment. I just never got that excited about PS5. The fact that you COULDN'T buy one for the first 2 years it was available without making a blood pact with Satan or something, just reinforced that it wasn't a necessary upgrade for me.
Long live PS6!!