I’m worried about burn-in on my LG C2 OLED — but don't do what I was doing

Jan 22, 2023
Interesting...so I have an LG OLED I bought in 2019 that recently I've started to see burn in on, and worse what look like random dead pixels all around the edges.

I contacted LG customer service and they actually told me to run the Pixel Refresher several times. That didn't help much. And the TV is out of warranty so they say there's nothing they can do but refer me to a TV repair place.

Between this and the anecdotal evidence I've seen of failures on their appliances, I don't think I'll be buying any more LG products.

tresnugget

Honorable
Nov 5, 2018
I really wouldn't worry about burn in. The 7th gen OLEDs were horrible with burn in. My brother's c7 and my b7 both got burn in within 2 years. I've had my C9 for almost 4 years and watch tons of podcasts, play tons of video games, and don't have any burn in. The red sub pixel is larger than the red sub pixel in the 7 series so burn in is way less likely. But yeah, don't run pixel refresh that often. It'll wear out your TV and reduce the brightness.

Jan 23, 2023
I bought an LGC1 and it died on my wall mid TV show. It was one month out of full coverage and customer service may as well answer saying 'Hello thank you for calling LG your part is out of warranty' considering the CSR somehow knew that before I gave any details at all.

LG said they'd pick it up and check the error for free and waive labour for repairs, but the person they tried to send just called me and said they were not coming, they were JUST GOING TO TELL LG IT WAS BROKEN without seeing it.

I called LG to complain and they told me all I can do it drop it off AT THE BUSINESS THAT SAID THEY WOULD LIE TO LG ANYWAY.

For obvious reasons I'll never own another LG television for my main display (or likely any display). Doesn't help me that I bought into their promises about phones.

Essentially I have learned Life is Good - when you don't shop LG.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023
I really wouldn't worry about burn in. The 7th gen OLEDs were horrible with burn in. My brother's c7 and my b7 both got burn in within 2 years. I've had my C9 for almost 4 years and watch tons of podcasts, play tons of video games, and don't have any burn in. The red sub pixel is larger than the red sub pixel in the 7 series so burn in is way less likely. But yeah, don't run pixel refresh that often. It'll wear out your TV and reduce the brightness.

That's good to know. Mine's a C8 , so I'm not sure what type of red sub pixel it would have. I'm going on 4 years and I just started noticing the burn in recently.

And I guess I won't run the Pixel Refresher that often. Frankly, that makes me even more irritated with LG, since not 1, but 2 customer service people told me to run it several times (which didn't help my issue anyway).

Jan 23, 2023
Ahhh! One of life's great mysteries is LG's "Adjust Logo Brightness."
Does "Low" mean low brightness where static logos are... Or does "High" mean it's the highest setting for the logo brightness feature? Who can say... 🤦

Jan 24, 2023
Hi. Thank you for investigation of this problem. I just bought LG OLED65B2 and I'm so concerned about burn-in. using this tv about two month for 4-6 hours per day, watching 4k movies. Brightness is on 90%, pixel represhing not used, pixel moving is on. this is my first OLED.

Oct 23, 2023
Our streaming editor spent enough money on his LG C2 OLED to make him very concerned about protecting it. And then he discovered how LG's definition of 'regularly' didn't match his own.

I’m worried about burn-in on my LG C2 OLED — but don't do what I was doing : Read more
In the article is mentioned:

" Then, make sure Adjust Logo Brightness is set to Low. This will have your TV detecting logos (like the one burned into my C7), and lower the brightness on those to stop burn-in there. "

On LG website is mentioned:
You can reduce the risk of Image Retention by manually changing certain settings on your TV.
" Set Logo Luminance Adjustment to high from the OLED Panel Settings in the Picture Menu."

From what i've read so far in few articles and forums, High should be the preferred setting instead of Low...
regards,

Apr 18, 2023
i bought a C2 in june 2020 because i was awed by the picture. i share completely your concerns when i learned about the image retention issues and OLED -- tried for a year to get some meaningful guidance from LG re: protecting against image retention -- NADA -- told them i run pixel cleaning manually every week or so -- at the time, LG docs said the system runs it auto after 6hr of on time per day or 2000 hr cumulative -- no one at LG could explain the incredible difference in those 2 trigger levels -- system doesn't share when or if the pixel cleaning process is done -- user is left adrift by the abysmal customer support from LG -- and by the several conflicts in their docs on what the system does or doesn't do -- many thanks for the article -- i look forward to follow ups --

Nov 22, 2023
In the article is mentioned:

" Then, make sure Adjust Logo Brightness is set to Low. This will have your TV detecting logos (like the one burned into my C7), and lower the brightness on those to stop burn-in there. "

On LG website is mentioned:
You can reduce the risk of Image Retention by manually changing certain settings on your TV.
" Set Logo Luminance Adjustment to high from the OLED Panel Settings in the Picture Menu."

From what i've read so far in few articles and forums, High should be the preferred setting instead of Low...
regards,
It appears to depend on what your TV has:
A) an Adjust Logo Brightness option
OR
B) a Logo Luminance Adjustment option

The TV won't have both. Each has the same end function, but describe opposite things, you see.

"A" should really be written just "Logo Brightness", because "Adjust" is simply the user's action! To avoid burn-in with "A", you are choosing the AMOUNT of brightness logos will have. Since you want the brightness (aka luminance) of the logo to be lessened from the TV's default, you set this to LOW Logo Brightness.
To avoid burn-in with "B", you are actually choosing the LEVEL of ADJUSTMENT to APPLY to the TV's default luminance (aka brightness). Since you want the TV to adjust (change) the luminance as much as possible, you set this to a HIGH adjustment level.

It's ridiculous for users to have to deal with this confusing inconsistency. They should call it luminence or brightness, and stick to that ONE across all products. And just leave the words "adjust/adjustment" out of it; a slider or button choice makes that obvious! Titling options is not rocket science, yeesh...