I’ve been driving the Nissan Leaf for over a year — and it’s not aging well at all

Jun 12, 2022
Not one syllable of this article addresses aging of the Leaf. Instead it is a list of gripes that have been no secret for years.
The slightest research into this vehicle would have put the author wise to every issue that annoys him.
CHAdeMO connector may be annoying but the author notes he rarely charges outside his home. Exactly like most EV owners. This feature alone fills up half the article. Yes, CHADeMO is fading from the scene but that does not mean it is useless to an owner. Most trips are local. Charging takes place at home. One also has to remember that the bulk of Leafs are sold in Japan and Asia where CHAdeMO is far more common.
The Leaf beat all other EVs to mainstream production. The second generation did not get the massive upgrades the geeks wanted because the costs to do so would have raised the price of an already expensive car. The very aggressive pricing you have on the current model is because of amortized capital costs just as the Bolt has dropped its price without a major update to its tech.
The plain fact is that the Leaf has brought solid value to the EV market and tens of thousands are being sold on the used market to delighted customers well aware of its limitations.

This article is so typical of tech oriented whines where a product with pedestrian ambitions is faulted for not being cutting edge when that edge does nothing for the use case but costs far more for no usable benefit.

Reactions: zipswich
Jun 13, 2022
This is a silly article. Besides the fact that the charger type was known when you got the car, the comparison to the Bolt is not particularly unfavorable to the Leaf considering the latter hasn't had a fire problem that forces you park it on the street. The Leaf is a fine efficient car, but aging as it approaches the end of this generation's life, hardly worthy of an article

Reactions: zipswich and Indy5

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Not one syllable of this article addresses aging of the Leaf. Instead it is a list of gripes that have been no secret for years.

Agree completely.
I have been driving a 2019 LEAF for over 3 years and 27k km and my satisfaction is close to 100%. I am not an expert, just a layperson who had owned 8 cars (4 of them were Mercury Sable) before LEAF.
  • I have spent $0 on its maintenance because there is no such need.
  • The battery still has 100% capacity.
  • My longest road trip was 3.7km (from MA to SC and back) in 6 days. Was doing CHADeMO fast charging multiple times every day. No problem.
  • I charge at my home most of the time by using a regular wall outlet. Very convenient.

I love LEAF so much that I will most likely get another one with a longer range (a + model with 360km per charge) by the end of this year.
pkxdMMC.jpg

fiB44UK.jpg

Reactions: Indy5