News I’ve fallen out of love with the PS5 DualSense — here’s why

Feb 11, 2021
You do realise, you commented the dualsense is both uncomfortable and comfortable? Is that the dual-sense that you are sensing?

In all seriousness, it's always a good idea to critically reread your rough draft.

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
It can be. I didn't actually use the word "uncomfortable". It's a comfortable controller to hold but over time its bulk gets tiring. That's all in the article.

Not a rough draft. It was proofed and edited. In all seriousness, in these trying times, a little politeness would go a long way.

TGO

Great
Feb 11, 2021
OMG -- cry more. There was nothing impolite about Nikkozz's observation. What a rambling, petty crybaby article about First World Problems. Go get a Real Job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
Calling published work a "rough draft" was arguably deliberately inflammatory.

I have a real job thanks, you're looking at it. It allows me to have the latest consoles and own a flat in the world's capital aka London. So I'm good thanks.

Nothing crying about the article. It's simply an opinion about a controller that's innovative and impressive but hasn't quite won me over. Just another perspective for people considering buying a PS5.

nowhearthis666

Estimable
Jan 20, 2018
Roland, I get what you are saying...

I have the same feelings about the new PS5 controller. Mind you, I don't have a PS5 yet so I haven't had a chance to experience the new haptics; but I was able to buy the PS5 controller in December and I have been using it to play Warframe on PC in an attempt to get used to it while I wait for PS5 stock to be not such a bother. In my mind it is indeed too big, and after an hour or so my hands start getting sore. Like you I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting accustomed to it and having my muscles adapt; but I'm not terribly confident I'll ever really appreciate it. So I'll keep using it, but I won't lie, after a month and a half of use I prefer the shape and size of the PS4 controller...

Feb 11, 2021
It can be. I didn't actually use the word "uncomfortable". It's a comfortable controller to hold but over time its bulk gets tiring. That's all in the article.

Not a rough draft. It was proofed and edited. In all seriousness, in these trying times, a little politeness would go a long way.

Well, I wasn't trying to be harsh; I would like to know how you came up with that opinion. I understand, during this time, it may be harsh or uncomfortable to take criticism gracefully. Good luck.

Feb 11, 2021
Wow its well writen but I feel the exact opposite. Since day one, the dualsense blew up my mind and made other controller soooo bad and poorly engineered. For example, after playing some astrobot I went back to luigi mansion on a pro controller... oooo it felt so bad with the even non-analog clicky trigger... my hands were crying and my head knew something was missing. Same with the xbox or even the dualshock. Dualsense is a real next-gen controller !

TGO

Great
Feb 11, 2021
Instead of boasting about how you get paid to write about trivial entertainment (games) and live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, you should probably detail how you help the less fortunate, like starving kids in Africa who can't even afford games.

docRhino

Prominent
Jun 11, 2020
I have a series x and I gotta say, it's a nice controller but I wish we had a haptic option. Can't you turn the haptics off if you don't want it in your game? Seems a little odd they would make all the PS5 games harder without a way to play it normally.

It's crazy that they don't even let you use your old controllers to play new games, overall Microsoft has been so much more consumer friendly with options.

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
Well, I wasn't trying to be harsh; I would like to know how you came up with that opinion. I understand, during this time, it may be harsh or uncomfortable to take criticism gracefully. Good luck.

I was just highlighting that a "rough draft" wouldn't have gone live on the site.

As for criticism of my opinion, that's fair. I based it on the use of the DualSnese over time across a mix of games. It's a very smart controller that feels good. But its size and unfamiliarity just don't make it as intuitive to use over time as an Xbox Wireless Controller. As I said, it's not a bad controller, just not perfect.

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
I have a series x and I gotta say, it's a nice controller but I wish we had a haptic option. Can't you turn the haptics off if you don't want it in your game? Seems a little odd they would make all the PS5 games harder without a way to play it normally.

It's crazy that they don't even let you use your old controllers to play new games, overall Microsoft has been so much more consumer friendly with options.

You can turn the haptics off, but that would kinda defeat the raison du etre of the DualSense. The haptics don't make gaming harder, they are just a little unfamiliar to use initially, so you have to kinda rewire your mind and instincts to the controller.

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
Instead of boasting about how you get paid to write about trivial entertainment (games) and live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, you should probably detail how you help the less fortunate, like starving kids in Africa who can't even afford games.

It's called "being tongue in cheek". I do plenty to help others. Rather than tell people with a job to get a "proper job" you could dedicate your time to helping raise money for those less fortunate.

And if you feel this writing is trivial, you don't have to read my article......

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
Wow its well writen but I feel the exact opposite. Since day one, the dualsense blew up my mind and made other controller soooo bad and poorly engineered. For example, after playing some astrobot I went back to luigi mansion on a pro controller... oooo it felt so bad with the even non-analog clicky trigger... my hands were crying and my head knew something was missing. Same with the xbox or even the dualshock. Dualsense is a real next-gen controller !

I absolutely agree that the DualSense is a next-gen controller. And I'm happy to hear others really love it; hopefully, it'll encourage others to innovate.

But for my overall gaming preference, I like the familiar rather than the new this time. But it's early days for the PS5 so I'm excited to see what comes next.

Roland Moore-Colyer

Commendable
Staff member
Feb 11, 2021
Roland, I get what you are saying...

I have the same feelings about the new PS5 controller. Mind you, I don't have a PS5 yet so I haven't had a chance to experience the new haptics; but I was able to buy the PS5 controller in December and I have been using it to play Warframe on PC in an attempt to get used to it while I wait for PS5 stock to be not such a bother. In my mind it is indeed too big, and after an hour or so my hands start getting sore. Like you I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting accustomed to it and having my muscles adapt; but I'm not terribly confident I'll ever really appreciate it. So I'll keep using it, but I won't lie, after a month and a half of use I prefer the shape and size of the PS4 controller...

Yeah, it's tricky to adapt to if you're very used to certain controllers. I'm hoping over time I'll adapt more to it, and I'm glad Sony is offering something new.

Gentle Banana

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Interesting that the haptic feedback affecting the precision of your aim is precisely the kind of immersion that I would like to have. Headshots under pressure should be difficult. I don't know how it feels like to fire a real gun, but I feel that the haptic feedback in Hitman 3 isn't close enough!

TGO

Great
Feb 11, 2021
It's called "being tongue in cheek". I do plenty to help others. Rather than tell people with a job to get a "proper job" you could dedicate your time to helping raise money for those less fortunate.

And if you feel this writing is trivial, you don't have to read my article......
Nah. I already do enough volunteering. You should look into helping the "less fortunate" like me who haven't yet been able to get a PS5 or Xbox 5 due to the extreme shortages, likely exacerbated by units getting sent to privileged reviewers.