I almost ditched Chrome for this web browser — here's why

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbcox

Prominent
Feb 18, 2021
Seems like just another chrome-a-clone to me. The benefits of using chrome are basically the integration with Google services, which you don't get with the clones. If you:
  1. Don't need or want that
  2. You're concerned about privacy
  3. The negative impact of a browser monoculture (Which IMO is the biggest issue)
then you should use Firefox.

Yes, people wax poetic about performance benchmarks, etc., but the reality is that most people aren't going to notice any difference.

Feb 1, 2023
gbcox obviously hasn't tried The Arc Browser.

I've been using it for a few months and I love the basic functionality of spaces and pinned tabs. They have definitely helped with the organization of my internet usage.

It has a ton of functionality I haven't even incorporated into my workflows yet.

What's even better is that it's not a memory/cpu hog like Chrome can be and my computer is rarely redlining these days.

Also, the browser development team is continuously upgrading functionality and squashing bugs.

I truly hope this browser gains market traction because I'm hooked and don't want it to go away.

Feb 1, 2023
Let me know if you'd like an invite.

Seems like just another chrome-a-clone to me. The benefits of using chrome are basically the integration with Google services, which you don't get with the clones. If you:
  1. Don't need or want that
  2. You're concerned about privacy
  3. The negative impact of a browser monoculture (Which IMO is the biggest issue)
then you should use Firefox.

Yes, people wax poetic about performance benchmarks, etc., but the reality is that most people aren't going to notice any difference.

Feb 29, 2024
I just started using the Arc browser today. I was on the waiting list for the Windows beta for a while.

So far, I'm not really impressed. I know these are the early days for the browser, but there are a couple of things that really bug me:

-- My scroll wheel doesn't work. It's simply unacceptable to release a browser in 2024 with that kind of piss poor compatibility. It's a regular Logitech trackball. I've never had a piece of software have trouble with it befo.

-- The lack of customizability. Okay, you can adjust what Web sites look like (although i would point out that deviating from what the Web designer intended doesn't usually end up in a better experience) but it should be my choice where I put my tabs. You want to let me pin them or let them expire, that's fine, but at least give me a say in the matter.

-- Aside from maybe the scrapbook/easel, there doesn't seem to be a lot new here. Having used Vivaldi as my main browser for a few years now, I'm already accustomed to the good parts of Arc.

-- I'm not super-skittish about privacy, but unless I'm missing something, Arc's ad settings are the loosest I've ever seen on a browser. From what I've seen when going through the privacy settings, if you want to block ads, you're on your own. Like I said, I'm not a fanatic about privacy, but some rudimentary ad blocking would be nice.

I know it's early days, but I don't consider this a promising start.

Arc is a new browser from the aptly named Browser Company, and it offers a different way of doing things that impressed me. Here's a peek at some of the cool features on offer.

I almost ditched Chrome for this web browser — here's why : Read more

Status
Not open for further replies.