I am looking for a new convertible laptop

segapuppy

Estimable
May 16, 2015
Convertible - a laptop with a screen that moves to sit over the keyboard as a thick tablet
I dislike the ones that leave the keyboard exposed, also known at 360 convertibles.

I have found some that I think are close, but I would like confirmation that they will work for what I want. I am open to suggestions of other laptops.

• ■ I want a twist/swivel/rotate convertible that does not do the 360 Yoga thing. (slide would be okay as long as there is a screen-covered closed option
    ■ I want to use it for handwriting stuff and hobbist drawing which means it needs stylus support (preferably with stylus included) and a digitizer (Wacom or N-Trig, no preference)
    ■ I do light gaming, I have an old tower build that runs anything I play these days but I do request that the laptop be able to run Facerig which needs at least a NVIDIA GeForce GT220 or equivalent, and I think the Intel HD Graphics 4600 meets that? It was difficult to find equivalents. Min CPU is Intel® Core™ i3-3220 or equivalent.
    ■ I want a machine that will last for many years
    ■ Sound mute and volume buttons or shortcuts are highly preferred.
    ■ Approx 12" + size screen, I tend to like standards better but I could live with wide
    ■ If the keyboard is backlit I want a way to turn it off (to save battery or for watching stuff)
    ■ 8gb + RAM although if has less but can support more I am open to just upgrading it myself
    ■ finger touch is not important
    ■ I don't need a big HDD.
    ■ I want to stay under 1k usd, cheaper is better but you get what you pay for

Things I would like but are not required:

• ■ Windows and Linux dual boot, or a way to re-do the OS set-up with partitioning
    ■ I wouldn't mind a dvd drive, but I understand those aren't a thing anymore.
    ■ 5+ hour battery, but that seems to be most laptops now

Machines I have found so far:

Solution
Yeah, your options are extremely limited.

Lenovo does not make anything similar to the ThinkPad Twist or the x230T.

Dell used to sell laptops with the flip screen design in the Acer Aspire R13, but to the best of my knowledge, they retired that design.

Other than the Acer, you are primarily limited to the Fujitsu LifeBook T series. Click on "Convertible Tablet PCs" in the link below.

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/
Yeah, your options are extremely limited.

Lenovo does not make anything similar to the ThinkPad Twist or the x230T.

Dell used to sell laptops with the flip screen design in the Acer Aspire R13, but to the best of my knowledge, they retired that design.

Other than the Acer, you are primarily limited to the Fujitsu LifeBook T series. Click on "Convertible Tablet PCs" in the link below.

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/

Solution

segapuppy

Estimable
May 16, 2015

Ah, thank you. Do you have any good sources for equivalencies? For GPUs primarily, but also cpus (I have been out of the loop on those since the c2d's stopped being in the loop.)

For Intel CPUs just use the following when assuming the same same clockspeeds.

1. 4th gen Intel CPUs (Core i5-4xxx) are on average 6% more powerful than 3rd gen Intel CPUs (Core i5-3xxx)
2. 5th gen Intel CPUs (Core i5-5xxx) are on average 4% more powerful than 4th gen Intel CPUs (Core i5-4xxx)

As for GPUs, estimated average performance for integrated Intel graphic cores is as follows and actual performance depends on the specific game in question.

1. The 4th gen Intel HD 4400 is on average about 15% - 20% more powerful than the 3rd gen Intel HD 4000
2. The 5th gen Intel HD 5500 is roughly equal to the 4th gen Intel HD 4600 and they are about 15% - 20% more powerful than the 4th gen Intel HD 4400.

Below are links to overall ranking of CPU and GPU based on benchmarks performed by Notebookcheck.net

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html