I am looking for a portable gaming laptop (equal to or smaller than 15,6")

Joris Stassen

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hey what's up everyone?

As the title says I am looking for a portable gaming laptop to replace my Acer Aspire 8735G notebook. The reason I want to go for a lot more portability is because I now take my laptop with me atleast once a week mostly during the weekend when I head over to my girlfriend. My current notebook is becoming just too old for some tasks I want it to be able to perform. Also the battery is completely screwed up so this means when I unplug it from the power socket the battery life will only last like 5 minutes, 5 minutes of just being idle on the desktop wallpaper screen.

I could buy a new battery but this laptop has scratches all over, the battery is completely messed up, some keyboard keys are starting to work inproperly and it's just not that good anymore in performing several tasks.

My current notebook's specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T6600 @2.2 ghz
Memory: 4 GB of DDR3 SODIMM
Screen: 18,4" 1680x945 (WXGA++)
HDD: 2 x 500 GB Western Digital Blue 5400 RPM (yes it has 2 hard drive slots, this notebook is huge and heavy)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 240m 1024 MB RAM

I was actually thinking about the Alienware 13 gaming laptop because of its extreme portability (13,3" screen). Ok, the resolution of this laptop might not be 1920x1080 which is kind of a must nowadays for gamers but I would like to keep it very portable so I don't have to be carrying around a ton of weight in my backpack.

But as I've read there are better alternatives for the same money as Alienware offers its 13 series. I just want it to be a lot more comfy to take with me as I travel a lot by bus and by scooter.

MSI has some great gaming notebooks aswell as Asus, but their decent gaming laptops start at a price I am not really willing to pay for a notebook. The Alienware 13 I want is the one with the core i7 processor, not the i5 ones.

Keep in mind that I have a decent gaming PC at home, it's just for being able to game with friends at their place and sorts of stuff.

My desktop specs:

Screen: LG IPS237L 23" 1080p
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k boxed @3,4 ghz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC
SSD: Crucial M4 128 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77

Hope someone can give me some ideas!

I want to spend max. let's say 1500 EUR on this notebook. Thanks in advance!

Joris Stassen

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
There aren't really websites I prefer to order from, but I'd like to order from somewhere I know that are trustworthy. Not something like BTO or XNotebooks who make custom notebooks on demand of their users. These devices are having a lot of heat problems, mostly come with high end specs but low end material design on the outside etc.

Sorry for my fairly poor English, I live in Belgium.

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Look at the youtube videos for the Surface Pro 3, keywords gaming steam surface pro 3.

It can be very good with a keypad/mouse/keyb combo. Add in an snes emulator and you have your own on the go console player.

edit: oh and it can game MMO titles and recent games as well, like Diablo3, WoW, elite dangerous, etc..

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Joris Stassen

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I'm talking about Asus, MSI, Lenovo and a few more I don't remember right now.

You cannot be too serious about this right? I'm not looking for a tablet/portable notebook combo. I want decent gaming performance packed in a portable device but not a tablet. I've watched a ton of videos about the Surface Pro 3 and that is definitely not fullfilling to my needs.

I could eventually buy a bigger hard disk when I would run out of space, and I also still have some portable USB 3.0 hard drives around so that's not really a big problem.

eg
Pixmania
Codima
Forcom Multimedia Hotshop <--- Sells lots of overclocking, cooling, and gaming-specific components
Info Occases <--- Kind of like a Radio Shack for Belgium, sells more accessories (ink, toner, wires, etc) with a few PC parts on the side
Tones.be
Bytes At Work <---- Geared toward gamers
Mijn IT Shop

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Save yourself 600$ and go with the asus rog laptop I linked has same gpu as the 1600$ Alienware, a faster cpu and you can choose between ssd and 7200rpm I'm sure you can find it other places should you not like Amazon for some reason.

Joris Stassen

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Well, I usually go to a store a few kilometres away from here to get my hardware or to get my system fixed when broken. But if we are talking about websites they are mostly Belgian webshops kind of similar to Amazon but just the Belgian equivalent.

Amazon itself would do fine though but I'll check out the store I got this laptop from, but they are kind of expensive lately. I usually read a lot of reviews on Tweakers.net but this is a Dutch/Belgian website. They are really professional in the way of reviewing laptops and many other devices.

But if I had to name a few shops I trust:

- Coolblue (http://www.coolblue.be || ordered a lot there)
- Bol (http://www.bol.com || comparable to Coolblue)
- Amazon (http://www.amazon.com || never ordered anything on Amazon but I've read a lot about them being trustworthy)

As I can see none of you guys would ever recommend an Alienware system when I would be able to buy something similar from Asus/MSI/etc for less the money (or slight a bit more, but also get a bit more of performance)

I appreciate your advice guys!

Joris Stassen

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
well the delivery might already be a problem but there is another issue to keep in mind, in my country they have different keyboard layouts then let's say in the UK or US. I've always learned typing on AZERTY keyboards and those overseas shippings come with QWERTY keyboards which make it more difficult for me. Thanks for your time and help though! :)