I am looking for good headphones under MAX 170

WIPGamer

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Max 170 USA including soundcard (if needed)
I am looking at Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro, ATH m50, or a senn

I really like base, will be using for several hours, and prefer closed back for no/little sound leakage. I do play games too but I like dubstep, pop, rap and more.

What would you recommend?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Easy choice, DT 770 PRO. Wide sound stage and great imaging (good for gaming), fun v shaped sound signature, excellent bass extension and impact, comfortable (feels like pillows on your ears), solid build quality. Can't go wrong with them if they are in your price range.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Is ~$100 good? An Objective 2 or Schiit Magni would do the job for home use. I would see if your onboard can drive them first before looking into an amp. If you need something cheap and portable, CMOY BB.

Refurbished should be fine.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Looks good to me. Right now I'm also using my laptop which isn't the highest of specs.

My desktop computer is sitting dissembled in a corner since I believe either the CPU or motherboard went bad. I have a few parts I want to sell to get it back up again but it is not a priority for me at the moment. Here is what I have laying around:

CPU: Core i5 2500k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 V-LE
CPU cooler: Hyper 212+, Noctua NH-D15
Graphics card: Asus Direct CU II HD 7950, EVGA 9800GTX+
PSU: Enermax Naxn 550W, XFX PRO 550W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB
RAM: G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz 8GB

For headphones I have a pair of Koss KSC 75s and Yamaha EPH-100 for portable use, DT 770 PROs, Sennnheiser HD 518s, and Panasonic RP HTF 600s for home. Although I do like to take the Beyers with me on the go. I have an M-Audio Fast Track as an audio interface which I use as a DAC/AMP. On the go I use them unamped with my phone, however I have found it barely scapes by. I'm thinking of building a CmoyBB portable headphone amp.

I have owned the m50 before as well. My 518s sound very similar to the 558/598. Out of all three the Beyers can do what you're asking for the best.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Try it out and see for yourself, if you are happy with the volume level then you don't need an amp. If it you find it quiet at max volume or the sound starts to distort at higher volumes look into an amp. Fiio E11k/CmoyBB for portable, Schiit Magni or an Objective 2 for desktop. It is likely that the ALC 1150 chipset integrated into the Z97 motherboard should drive the 770 PRO just fine.

Most portable devices don't have enough power to drive the 80 ohm DT 770 PRO, so if you plan to use them with your phone I would look into a portable amp. If you're on a budget you could use that amp with your PC as well.