I am RH

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhlabs

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hello,
What a mirror on the past.
Dale Satterberg and I shared a manufacturing facility and tooling, machining and fabrication plant. We had started the first subwoofer production in history. He for the Rodgers LS45As, me for the Quads and Accoustats.
Idiots to no patent it. But we both were in love with music and creating the devices to enhance it.
The KRH was my experiment to compliment the RH Labs subwoofers with lower cost monitors (compared to the LS35A, quads and others).
Both Dale and I loved to come to work each day as we felt we were making some progress in the envelope of sound and craftsmanship. Dale is an amazing person, and I was inspired by him.
Don't buy the KRH speakers. They were names after my first wife and just as bad. Not my best work. Sorry community..
Randy Hooker (aka RH Labs)

G

It's interesting that you recall a period when hifi was still a highly personal business with the Walkers running Quad and Jim Rogers and the BBC blowing everybody away with the LS35A. The quality of those products is still evident from the prices that they command secondhand.

Lilith_K

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello,
I just happened upon this older posting and couldn't believe it. If Randy is still around, I have an original RH-1, still use it in my primary system, and it has never failed to impress. Although a bit on the large size by todays standards, without it sitting in the middle of my speaker setup, it just wouldn't be the same. I just wanted to thank you for the work you did on it. Younger audiophiles don't realize what a giant step it provided at the time, or how accurate and natural it is.

The only thing that I am sorry for is that I didn't get the bare speaker imputs at the time in addition to the crossover that came with it. I have never had an issue with the crossover, but now have outboard crossovers that allow me to vary the crossing point to balance the room a bit more accurately. You wouldn't happen to still have one of the straight, non-crossover imput plates, would you?

Thanks again,
Lilith

hifiguy_53

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

Randy,
Please shoot me an email.
Dave
Audio Emporium
holmesaedh@gmail.com

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I owned your sub woofer back in the 80's with my quad 57 speakers and bedini amp and modulus preamp and ariston rd 80 turntable. I was in heaven then with the sound. How are you doing after all these years? I bought the woofer in Garland Audio in San Jose. Great combo with quads 57.You are a good designer.Do you know how to respond back to someone?M

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Big deal is doesn't have the courtesy to respond back to someone.

rhlabs

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Lost my password and user name! Sorry...
You can remove the crossover plate and replace it with a blank plus connectors very easily. I caulked the plate rather than glue it to allow for this.
Randy

i wont mention any names but there are posters on here who are always grumpy.

i think most of us understand that people don't always have time to respond or they lose login information. great to see that you check back on your old posts from time to time.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
thank you for the courtesy to answer back. Please read what i said about you under marv fox thanks

gassave

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

I have an old RH Labs SB-2p subwoofer and i was wondering if i can locate a schematic of the electronics? Had a tech looked at it before ands he may have tampered with the wiring and now it's not working properly. PLease email me at gassave@gmail.com

gassave

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I have an old RH Labs SB-2p subwoofer and i was wondering if i can locate a schematic of the electronics? Had a tech looked at it before ands he may have tampered with the wiring and now it's not working properly. PLease email me at gassave@gmail.com

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It's interesting that you recall a period when hifi was still a highly personal business with the Walkers running Quad and Jim Rogers and the BBC blowing everybody away with the LS35A. The quality of those products is still evident from the prices that they command secondhand.
That is when audio was great and affordable. Not like today where the prices are plain idiotic and dumb. Speakers costing over 100 grand! Completely absurd. I owned the LS35A great speaker for classical music and voice.

stantonaudio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

tombes

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

tombes

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
About 20 tears I put one of your systems in storage. The crossover unit has a model number ABX-4 and I believe the speaker cabinets have 18 inch down-fire units. I have now once again moved into a domicile that is removed enough from neighbors that when the system gets cranked I do not have to worry about an early morning visit by a squad car.
When it was originally integrated into my total system I was driving your fine product with two bridged David Hafler (built them myself) amps that I believe had the capability of providing 300 watts rms per side.
The amps are long gone so my first question is what would you recommend as replacements for the Hafler units?
The other question is that I believe one of the drivers is shredded’ was not paying attention to the Hafler’s clip lights’ and it’s output is a little fuzzy. I remember this situation arising several times before and you were kind enough to replace them under warranty for me. Obviously I can’t expect that to happen again ,the system has to be around 30 years old, so do you have any kind of spec that I could use to purchase a new driver that would match the good one?
As a side note I want to tell you how much I and my friends enjoyed the system. I let your stuff handle what it was designed for and had a pair of Bose 901s, still have them, driven by a 200 watt per side Adcom amp and the total system rivaled any of the club systems at the time which led to many after hours parties and squad car visits. The thing was so kick ass that I couldn’t use my turntable, even though I had it mounted on a thick granite tombstone. The era was pre-cd so a Teak X-1000R, still have that too along with about 25 10” reels of the finest Disco party crap of the 70-80s, was substituted. I also own about 1500 vinyls so for nostalgia’s sake I’m resurrecting a thing from my youth and hope you can help me out.

cjjuggler

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

cjjuggler

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hey Randy,
I know you don't remember me. I hung around Greenwood Sound when you and Bill had it. Then when you moved to Seattle to help start Definitive, I would come up and visit occasionally. I also had a RH-1 woofer for my JR149's. I live in Seattle now, and just attended Definitives Music Matters. Made me think of you and wonder what you are doing now. Also wanted to say thank you for introducing me to better music reproduction.
Chuck Johnson

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Curious what audio gear do you own now?

zeffiro

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Hi Randy,
I recently inherited a pair of RH Labs SB-1's that have been in storage for a long while and they will need to have the foam surrounds replaced to return them to service. After removing the screws attaching the speakers to the cabinet, there seemed to be some sort of glue or caulk still holding them in place. Do you have any suggestions for ways to remove the speakers without damaging them?
Regards,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.