I bought a 24gb SSD + 500gb HDD laptop, but that's not what is showing

moddedmatt

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
So i bough this laptop http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230716

it says it has a 24gb ssd for the OS and 500gb of storage, but when I look at my storage devices in My Computer, this is what I see:
LwHHOBl.png

So what seems to be 2 HDDS of 186gb and 258gb. Is there anything im missing?
Also, when i look at my windows performance results, my storage got a 5.9 which is what you normally get when using a HDD

Solution
Hello... Your one physical Drive was Logically Partitioned... into two areas... they are now seperate memory locations, on your one physical drive.

All plater type hardrives, will give you a WEI of 5.8-5.9.

I have not ever owned or tested a hybrid drive and you can GOOGLE or WIKI more information about them... maybe there is a setting in Windows to increase your performance or WEI.

Most pre-loaded, store bought computers, Partition the hardrives, because your Backup/Restore information, and OS, will be put there... So they don't have to give you any Physical Disks... It's up to you to make your own Backup OS Disks for future use... DID YOU SEE any warnings or Read any Printed media to advise you of this? Most people ignore and start...

moddedmatt

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Ok, but what does it mean exactly? and why is it seperated on 2 drives? is one of them faster than the other?

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
It could be that when you installed windows 8, you (or windows 8) partitioned the drive wrong and split it up, or the hybrid drive is actually two separate drives.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Your one physical Drive was Logically Partitioned... into two areas... they are now seperate memory locations, on your one physical drive.

All plater type hardrives, will give you a WEI of 5.8-5.9.

I have not ever owned or tested a hybrid drive and you can GOOGLE or WIKI more information about them... maybe there is a setting in Windows to increase your performance or WEI.

Most pre-loaded, store bought computers, Partition the hardrives, because your Backup/Restore information, and OS, will be put there... So they don't have to give you any Physical Disks... It's up to you to make your own Backup OS Disks for future use... DID YOU SEE any warnings or Read any Printed media to advise you of this? Most people ignore and start computing...

When Loading new programs... choose "Custom install" option... to Load/Use, your Data D: Drive space.

Solution