Solved! I bought a zte android that was preowned and used T-Mobile but I use straight talk. how do I switch this phone to straight tal

Jun 14, 2017
I bought a ZTE T-Mobile android. I use straight talk and don't want to change the service. How do I make my T-Mobile phone into a straight talk service without activating the T-Mobile?

Solution
You might not be able to. The problem with carrier phones is you don't own them until the contract is over. You might think you got that hot new phone for $1, but if you looked at your bill you'd see you are paying for the phone over the life of the contract. Until the contract is up the phone is still the property of the carrier and you can't just switch it one of their competitors. Tmo is now the "uncarrier", but they still sell some phones on a payment plan. The only way to know if the phone can be brought over to a different carrier is to take it to Tmo and ask them. IF the phone has been fully paid off they should put a code into the phone that unlocks it for any carrier. The code is different for each phone so they are the...

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
You might not be able to. The problem with carrier phones is you don't own them until the contract is over. You might think you got that hot new phone for $1, but if you looked at your bill you'd see you are paying for the phone over the life of the contract. Until the contract is up the phone is still the property of the carrier and you can't just switch it one of their competitors. Tmo is now the "uncarrier", but they still sell some phones on a payment plan. The only way to know if the phone can be brought over to a different carrier is to take it to Tmo and ask them. IF the phone has been fully paid off they should put a code into the phone that unlocks it for any carrier. The code is different for each phone so they are the only ones who can provide it. Once it's unlocked you can put a sim chip from any company in there and it should work. But Tmo is the only person who can help you.

Solution
Jun 14, 2017

Jun 14, 2017
It was a prepaid phone so it's paid off already but we've called the company and they say we have to reactivate the phone just to get a code so I was hoping there was an easier and cheaper solution. Thank you for responding.