I bought used laptop. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RcPro97

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
I've bought a second hand toshiba L650 for cheap. I'm needing something to get polytech work done because my other computer died. Other than a few nicks and scratches, and noisy bearing it seems good, and hopefully will last this year out until I can get something a bit better.

I have had a really bad run with laptops recently, and I dont want the same problems with this than I did with the others. It needs to be reliable.
So I'm wondering what checks I should do on it before I start really using it. Is there any tests I Should do on it to make sure it's not going to let me down?
Is there anything on the software side of things I should check/do?

when I booted it up it went to installing windows (10), and then setup as if it was a new computer, is there anything I should check about the IS and weather it's be done correctly by the old user.

I've had a really bad run with computers recently. First my HDD in my hp envy j111tx dies without warning, and I loose all of my assignments and work for the last two years (yes I should have backed it up). I didnt have money to fix it right away, So I take a old Toshiba satellite c660, an old outdated version that was put away because it was already at the end of it's life. I reinstall windows and wipe everything on it, and was using that for the next couple of weeks. It was painfully slow, and simple tasks like launching chrome would make it unresponsive. Thats died saying corrupt registry files when I launch startup repair. Thankfully I was a bit more onto it this time and had copies of everything. Still very frustrating, I needed something to do work on. So now I have a L650

Thanks everyone!

Solution
Check HDD smart info, to see if HDD is fine or is already corrupted.
Check how long your battery lives and is the charger PORT okay.
Sometimes when you plug in charger, it doesn't charges because port is playing to sides and you cant get a good contact.
Run a memtest, memory may fail after time so its better to be safe.
Check how temperatures are going after 2hrs of work, usually laptops get dusty after 2yrs of use and may become too hot.
That's it basically.

misteriosly

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015
Check HDD smart info, to see if HDD is fine or is already corrupted.
Check how long your battery lives and is the charger PORT okay.
Sometimes when you plug in charger, it doesn't charges because port is playing to sides and you cant get a good contact.
Run a memtest, memory may fail after time so its better to be safe.
Check how temperatures are going after 2hrs of work, usually laptops get dusty after 2yrs of use and may become too hot.
That's it basically.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.